wifi using USB host shield and usb wifi dongle

Anyone tried adding a $5 wifi dongle to a USB host shield to get a low cost wifi solution?

Part of the reason the WiFi shields are costly is that they implement the TCP/IP stack internally. Cheap USB dongles rely on the operating system for that.

So you want to run a USB Host Stack, drivers (that probably wouldn't be universal) for a WiFi Dongle, and a TCP/IP stack in 2K of RAM. Hopefully there wasn't anything else you wanted the microcontroller to be able to do once the dongle was connected.

Anyone tried adding a $5 wifi dongle to a USB host shield

Lots of people have tried to do this.

I haven't heard of one single success.

George Carlin said "I think it's the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
eh, i just found a shield that can provide some external RAM, so is the RAM's problem solved?
MEGARAM Shield:

http://ruggedcircuits.com/html/megaram.html

I think it's also fit for us.
I also focus on drive USB WiFi dongle on USB HOST Shield.
I found a low cost usb wifi dongle, it use realtek RTL8188CUS chip

this's some spec of the chip:http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=21&PFid=48&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=274

Zero_Custom:
eh, i just found a shield that can provide some external RAM, so is the RAM's problem solved?

That only works with the Mega boards based on the ATmega1280/2560. Not the Uno which is based on the ATmega328. So no, the RAM issue hasn't been solved.

Plus you still have to write the drivers for the Arduino to support the USB Dongle device. Without documentation from the manufacturer, that might be difficult.

so, what we're trying to do is to repeat create the wheel.
if we want to cost down, the best idea is use other wireless solutions.
the cost seems cheaper than wifi, i think the restrict maybe bigger than wifi.
think about the Smart homes, thousands of sensors and switch, use wifi maybe a better choice.

anyway, i found a datasheet of the RTL8188CUS http://wenku.baidu.com/view/6eadaf215901020207409c77.html
i always looking forward to low price wifi module.

Frederic_Plante:
You know what make my day? When the people who say some thing is impossible look dumb cause what is supposed to be impossible is being done. Soon there will be a libraries for the wifi dongle cause they already work on it.

If a Human can imagine some thing, it's because it's possible. You can't imagine impossible, cause impossible is not part of our Universe, by definition. So if you guys don't want to look stupid again, stop saying it.

Don't confuse impossible with impractical.

You're taking this way too seriously. Let me see if I have a stone for that axe...

You want to quiet the naysayers? Develop the solution, and post it when people ask. Until then, you're no more useful than those saying it can't be done.

All we need to know is

Does the spi libraries + the USBHost libraries + UIP libraries =< 20k? If it's the case, then it's possible to run the USBWIFI key under UNO. And if not, it will run under Mega128 or Mega256. In any case it will probably have some space to run a few functions over it...

So i'll check that right a way.

Ok so the most basic function of UIP, the echoserver require 19k, so it would have problem to run on a UNO. How ever, richardtheboffin never talked about UNO specifically.

The Question was : "Anyone tried adding a $5 wifi dongle to a USB host shield to get a low cost wifi solution?"

I see nowhere the word UNO, if you guys don't get you self systems that has more memory that is you problem, but some people run with 128k or 256k, so keep your boring answer to your-self.

So the answer is Yes, under Arduino Mega, it would be possible to run a WIFI dongle if you manage to make a libraries for you hardware specifics.

This being sayed, mister richardtheboffin , have you consider getting a serial to wifi solution?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-4G-Wireless-Module-TLG10UA03-Embedded-Uart-Wifi-Module-UART-WiFi-Network-Server-Client-IEEE802-11b/988481350.html

They cost about 10$ more then a Wifi usb dongle delivery included, you get a serial device that fully contain TCPIP stacking. So this way you can run your WiFi with simple AT command and also you can run your module on lower Arduino board.

Think about that, sometime what you save on the device your gonna have to pay it on the controller and vice-versa. If you get the serial device, you can run the thing on a chip that you can stick on a breadboard, and if you choose to go with the dongle, well you will need to go for a solder board.

I found a nice solution on the web.

Take a WL-520GU router and flash it with DD-WRT. ( found mine at a thrift shop for $5.00)
Most any WIFI router with a USB port and DD-WRT support should do.
NOTE; there are several hacks on adding USB to Link-sys routers.

After configuring it to act as a USB serial to WIFI bridge,
all communication can be done thru arduino's native USB serial terminal.

You just use regular serial terminal communications methods.

This way all TCP/IP is off loaded to the router massively freeing up ram.

check out this link for step by step
http://todbot.com/blog/2010/12/16/wifi-for-arduino-with-asus-wl-520gu/

Why not buy a yun?
Same thing but no hacking needed and faster serial communication than you can setup and supported :slight_smile:
Jantje

Why not buy a yun?

Because most of us probably already have an Arduino (or two, or three) and the UART wifi module posted above is only $15, and an old router that can support DD-WRT can be found at Goodwill or Craigslist for $5-10, or heck, on a good day, can usually be found on the hackshelf of your local hackerspace. A Yun, OTOH, is $75. Not exactly cheap. You can get a Raspberry Pi or BeagleBoneBlack + wifi dongle for less than that.

Plus, hacking is fun!

PS - I'm totally going to try that router route (no pun intended) with a router in the parts bin at my hackerspace. thanks for the info.

lukeyes:
Why not buy a yun?

Because most of us probably already have an Arduino (or two, or three) and the UART wifi module posted above is only $15, and an old router that can support DD-WRT can be found at Goodwill or Craigslist for $5-10, or heck, on a good day, can usually be found on the hackshelf of your local hackerspace. A Yun, OTOH, is $75. Not exactly cheap. You can get a Raspberry Pi or BeagleBoneBlack + wifi dongle for less than that.

Plus, hacking is fun!

PS - I'm totally going to try that router route (no pun intended) with a router in the parts bin at my hackerspace. thanks for the info.

I have taken the router approach. It works and my outdoor robot is running this way. From my experiance I would advice 2 things

1. take a wifi router so you don't need the wifi dongle
  2. try to find one with lots of memory and disk space (hack a sd?).
    1 is pretty obvious
    2 is because once you have the linux next to your arduino you'll use it.
    Strongest points for yun? Has 1 , has 2, has a fast bridge between linux and arduino, is small, has a USB to connect other hardware (like more arduino's).

Best regards
Jantje

Yun would of been great if i would of been build on a mega/due plateform. But it's not the case. So unless you use a i2c port expender, you are very limited portwize.

It's unfortunate that they did not build it on that plateform.

Found this guy,:

It's a serial to Ehernet HLK-RMO4 startkit , that can be found at.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/wifi-module-RS232-serial-to-Ehernet-HLK-RMO4-startkit-free-shipping/1444943150.html

Don't have much detail yet, it's in the mail.

But for what I found, it's got 2 ethernet interfaces, wifi with tcpip built in a few GPIO, that seem to be turnable into a SPI bus, and a buntch of other cool stuff like 2xUARTs, 1xI2C, 16 meg or RAM, 1xUSB2.0 interface. and 4 meg of FLASH.

Pin Definition:

1 VDD5V - Power In 5 Power input
2 GND - GND Power GND
3 WLAN_LED WLAN_LED_N O WIFI LED
4 3.3V - Power Out 3.3V power output
5 LINK1 EPHY_LED3_N I/O Net gape 1 LED indicte
6 USB_P UPHY0_PADP D USB signal D-
7 USB_M UPHY0_PADM D USB signal D+
8 I2S_SD I2C_SD I/O I2C DATA / GPIO1
9 I2S_CLK I2C_SCLK I/O I2C CLK / GPIO2
10 GIOP0 GPIO0 I/O Universal GPIO
11 TXOP1 EPHY_TXP_P3 I/O Net gape 1 TX-P, Pin 1
12 TXON1 EPHY_TXN_P3 I/O Net gape 1 TX-N, Pin 2
13 RXIP2 EPHY_RXP_P4 I/O Net gape 2 RX-P, Pin 3
14 RXIN2 EPHY_RXN_P4 I/O Net gape 2 RX-N, Pin 6
15 RXIN1 EPHY_RXN_P3 I/O Net gape 1 RX-N, Pin 6
16 RXIP1 EPHY_RXP_P3 I/O Net gape 1 RX-P, Pin 3
17 TXON2 EPHY_TXN_P4 I/O Net gape 2 TX-N, Pin 2
18 TXOP2 EPHY_TXP_P4 I/O Net gape 2 TX-P, Pin 1
19 RTS_N RTS_N I All function serial RTS / GPIO7
20 UART_RX RXD2 I Simple serial RX / GPIO16
21 UART_TX TXD2 O Simple serial TX / GPIO15
22 RXD RXD I All function serial RX / GPIO10
23 LINK2 EPHY_LED4_N I/O Net gape 2 LED I/O indicte
24 CTS_N CTS_N O All function serial CTS / GPIO9
25 RIN RIN I GPIO14
26 TXD TXD O All function serial TX / GPIO8
27 1.8V - Power Out Net gape 1.8V output
28 VDD5V - Power In 5V input

There are already developer that openwrt it and there is more info at this wiki:

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/hilink/hlk-rm04

Give you news as soon as i get the thing, but 25 bucks test plate included. Any way's all the comment are good, I don't know, We will see.

untitled.bmp (591 KB)

Frédéric_Plante:
Yun would of been great if i would of been build on a mega/due plateform. But it's not the case. So unless you use a i2c port expender, you are very limited portwize.

It's unfortunate that they did not build it on that plateform.

I fully agree. As soon as arduino releases a mega yun I'll buy two.
Best regards
Jantje

And for what I see:

Microcontroller Atmel ATmega32u4
Clock Speed 16 MHz
Flash Memory 32 KB (ATmega32u4)
SRAM 2.5 KB (ATmega32u4)
EEPROM 1 KB (ATmega32u4)
Digital I/O Pins (5V logic) 14
PWM Channels (5V logic) 7
Analog Input Channels 6 (plus 6 multiplexed on 6 digital pins)
Processor Texas Instrument Sitara AM3359AZCZ100 (ARM Cortex-A8)
Clock Speed 1 GHz
SRAM DDR3L 512 MB RAM
Networking Ethernet 10/100
USB port 1 USB 2.0 device port, 4 USB 2.0 host ports
Video HDMI (1920x1080)
Audio HDMI, stereo analog audio input and output
Digital I/O Pins (3.3V logic) 12
PWM Channels (3.3V logic) 4
MicroSD card
Support LCD expansion connector

They did not fix this problem with th Tre. So for now, I will stick to the DUE and find some neet add on to work around the problem.

Hello All,

I am a bit late but anyway looked to me that i have good news for you. check this out.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/FREE-SHIPPING-MTK7681-HLK-M30-Embedded-serial-WIFI-module-MT7681/32227212571.html

If I used the USB shield with this long distance wifi predator would it work (http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/331497866818?lpid=82&chn=ps)?
Thanks,
Wilder

wilderbuchanan:
If I used the USB shield with this long distance wifi predator would it work (http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/331497866818?lpid=82&chn=ps)?

No. See reply #1 and #2 in this thread for the reason.