6 inch tall 7 segment display with right hand DP

I have been hard at work today in Winboard laying out a display for a customer. As it is a one of job I retain rights to the designs, and as such I decided I would share it with all of you. The boards are edge stacked with each successive board automatically mapped to the next digit strobe pin. The maximum being 8 digits on a given array. The display is designed to be driven as a common cathode, Pin1 of connector 1 is an intensity drive such that the display brightness can be controlled by a CdS controlled boost regulator such that relative display brightness tracks ambient lighting. I? have test printed the artwork from the XPS Viewer and all drills are dimensionally accurate. You will need Microsoft XPS Viewer or XPS Essentials. the latter is available from this URL:
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=11816

This board can be produces as a single side with jumpers or a double sided. I draw my boards as double, but position the component side copper in such a way that I can use jumper wires.
I will post the silkscreen at a later time along with the schematic.

Please note all views are Top->Down, meaning that the solder side must be mirrored when you shoot the board.

Digit Component Positioning.xps (37.5 KB)

Digit Component Side.xps (37.4 KB)

Digit Solder Side.xps (42.2 KB)

This sounds quite nice but WTF is Microsoft XPS and why would I want to download it?

Rob

If you are running windows 7 you already have support for xps. XPS is a postscript file created by a document printer. And no, I am not going to pay 500 bucks for Adobe acrobat so I can make pdf files! XPS is free and already part of Windows 7

I'm loath to load anything having just spent days starting afresh after wiping my hard disk in an attempt to have a lean mean laptop, but I bit the bullet and downloaded the XPS stuff.

On "Digit Component Side" there appears to be a via right on the board edge.

Look forward to seeing the schematics.

Rob

The lone via is an artifact of using a middle layer to define a board edge. The provided board edge tool is cumbersome to edit, so I use one of the 12 layers I was not using to effect the same.

If you are running windows 7 you already have support for xps. XPS is a postscript file created by a document printer. And no, I am not going to pay 500 bucks for Adobe acrobat so I can make pdf files! XPS is free and already part of Windows 7

No need to. Create free pdf documents from any other platform PDFCreator: Download our free PDF converter here - pdfforge
Once it is set up you can select it as your printer and it prints any document into a .pdf file.