If you connect the positive lead to the negative lead of a battery we all know the high amps will generate heat and drain the battery too quickly.
I want to power a push button switch which contains an LED. This is a useless button for a cosmetic purpose that I want to just light up when it is pushed as intended. The (-)/(+) will be connected directly to the switch, with the only resistance being the LED inside.
Drill hole diameter: 16mm
Switch rating: 3A / 250VDC
Switch contacts: 1 NO, 1 NC
Material: Chrome plated brass
Contact resistance: < 50 mOhm
Insulation resistance: > 1000 Mohm
Temperature: -20 C to +55 C
Mechanical life: > 500,000
Electrical life: > 50,000
Panel thickness: 1-13mm
Operating pressure: 1.5 - 2.5 N
Operating stroke: 2mm
Lamp rated voltage: 6Vhttp://www.adafruit.com/products/559
How can I calculate the resistance needed to extend the life of the battery as long as possible while still lighting the LED.
I want to connect a standard 9v battery to this switch, however while the switch is in the on position I want the amp draw to be as low as possible to make sure it lasts long as possible.