Sorry for kicking the project, but it is worth it.
I have made this project and I have used (TIP!) two variable resistors for pin 8 (synch) and instead of the 75 Ohm. That makes it easier to reach those values.
The game works in part:
- startup is crystal (clear)
- playing is very bad, the problem is with the updates (they should fall between scanlines but they don't making the screen flicker)
- between two rounds (after a 'ball' is missed) the screen is nice again.
putting UPDATE_INTERVAL to 100 helps (although it flickers after that), but the games is unplayable then...
I use CLI so that should be ok. I have a duemilanove with an 328 uC.
It was caused by delayMicroseconds(10); around line 558. removing that made my game work at least