Running 64-bit Feisty Fawn. To get Arduino up and running:
- install sun-java5-bin and sun-java5-jdk per instructions from Ubuntu web site https://help.ubuntu.com/7.04/programming/C/java.html
- install avr-gcc, lib-avr and librxtx-java
Note: I installed Java 5 because I didn't want to install Java 6 - personal preference, not a technical one.
- rename or remove the RXTXcomm.jar and librxtxSerial.so from lib directory where you installed arduino-0009
Edit the arduino script:
- change the "lib/RXTXcomm.jar" to "/usr/share/java/RXTXcomm.jar" in the CLASSPATH line
- add ":/usr/lib" to the end of the LD_LIBRARY_PATH line