Just over a week in and got my first cube up and running. I just downloaded the ledcube lib and someones sketch from the forums here and used it for my first test. The LEDs seem a bit dim when an entire level is lit up. I'll have to figure out if that's due to software or if I need to use different resistors. But over all I'm very happy with it so far. Kind of glad it's not perfect yet. Gives me a chance to trouble shoot it. (I live fixing problems.)
Ya, i was working on the couch on my lap hooked up to my Hackintosh. (Netbook running Mac OS.) Got my first "Hello World" running. (Really just SOS in Morris Code.) My work area is a mess so i'll have to clean it up before I can assemble the protoshield (Saturday hopefully) but once that's together i'm looking forward to getting moving on some projects.
Saw your vid card thread over in the other forum and loved it. I'll definitely have to give that a try down the road. And I didn't think it cheesy BTW. My wife and I are very close too. In fact like I said above she may lose me to the garage more than I have been in the past and it'll be tough. The night my kit showed up she was on a call so I headed over to mom-in-law's a few blocks away to help with something there. Got back about 6:30. We sat and talked for 30 mins then I said "K, i'm going to open my package and take a look." She says "I'm surprised you were able to wait THIS long." I checked it all out going over all the pieces and inspecting the arduino multiple times in detail reading all the silk screening. After about 30 minutes she says "You're looking at that think like I look at jewelry. I think I may get jealous." ;D It's all good though. She has some projects she's been stalling on and says this will give her a kick to get some of them done.
If it's OK I may hit you up later with Q's on vid display stuff. Well I'll post to the forums but would hope you could help.
James, LEDs is exactly where I was going to start. Planning on making an LED cube first.
But one thing I thought about is instead of lighting up an LED by grounding one layer and powering one column (3 led's), instead if you ground one layer (call it plane X containing 9 LEDs) then power plane Y and plane Z (each also containing 9 LED's) then where the 3 planes meet there would be one LED that is grounded and getting powered twice. Using an AND gate you could make sure only that one turns on. This means instead of using 9 outputs for power (one for each column) you would only need 6. (3 for plane Y and 3 for plane Z.) Not a big deal for such a small cube, but if say I wanted to do an 8x8x8, then using their logic I'd need 64 outputs (8 X . Using mine I'd only need 16 (8 + .
Well it works in my head. Other than one quick sketch I haven't diagrammed it out yet. I'll work on it this week/weekend.
BTW, what do most people do after they create a project they want to keep? Would I just order something like a Mini and swap it out for the Duemilanove so I can keep it for prototyping?
I ordered an Arduino Projects kit from the Maker store and can't wait for it to get here. I've never done anything like it before and am looking forward to all the cool projects I'll be able to build on the evenings and weekends. I'm a little afraid my wife is going to lose me to the garage.
Any advise anyone can give would be appreciated. I'm sure I'll be on here a lot asking questions.
Put together an LED panel that represents a server environment. Have the Arduino send ping, http, ftp and other requests to each server every few seconds and wait for the reply. If there is none or in the case of http if you get anything other than 200 LED turns red. Then you got an at-a-glance over-all server room health check. All the LEDs are green... you're happy. Any turn red you got a problem.
My Arduino arrived a week ago. So far I've gotten an LED to blink SOS and bought a servo and got it to spin to different positions. I've also been building an LED cube. I finally got it soldered together this morning and will be working it into a breadboard tonight or tomorrow. Eventually i'll put it in an project box with a power switch and a button that makes it change flashing modes. I'd say that has been a good place for me to start and it might work for you too.
Right, but the thing was that DIY was no good with newer phones because they changed the voltage needed from 2.5v to 2.8v and the "old" DIY instructions were no longer working. So yes it's been done but it was necessary to do it again. (At least this is my understanding.)