Go Down

Topic: Electrical discharge in USB port (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

03ed

Hello everyone,

Recently, I got a generic Ethernet shield for my arduino Uno.

The shield - as you know- comes with a Wiznet W5100 whose tends to heat in normal use; However, I realized that it was too hot -in my opinion- , so I started to look for answers and I noticed that the laptop charger that I was using had only  2 prong so I tried with a 3 prong and it seemed to get the Wiznet a little bit cooler...

However, while I was doing experiments, my left cheek touched the arduino´s usb port ( the one next to reset button) and I felt a small electrical discharge, then I thought of  using a 3 prong charger and the discharge  disappear.

I have 2 questions:

1. ¿Do you guys think that the electrical and heat problem was because of a lack of ground?
2. Due to the fact that sometimes I do not have a pc at hand to power the arduino, ¿ could I use an Iphone 5 charger (output 5V  & 1 A)?

I´m concern about amps cuz I have heard that what´s important in chargers is the voltage and that I the charger gives you more amps that the load needs it does not matter because the load will use  only the amps needed...

Any thoughts ?

Thanks in advance,

:smiley-mr-green:
"Burn the Ships"

MarkT

This could be one of two things:

Capacitive leakage from the switch-mode supply causing a small AC current
which you can feel - not unknown and is a consequence of unpolarised 2 wire
mains connectors on the switch-mode input.  You can try reversing the 2-pin
plug.

Or it could be a faulty and dangerous unit.

Using 3-pin plug would be advisable I reckon.

The temperature of the Wiznet chip is a red-herring, it will be hot it takes
something like 150mA as its driving ethernet which is power hungry.  Check
the USB 5V rail with a multimeter if you like.
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

fungus

Jun 12, 2014, 01:33 pm Last Edit: Jun 12, 2014, 01:35 pm by fungus Reason: 1

The shield - as you know- comes with a Wiznet W5100 whose tends to heat in normal use; However, I realized that it was too hot -in my opinion- , so I started to look for answers and I noticed that the laptop charger that I was using had only  2 prong so I tried with a 3 prong and it seemed to get the Wiznet a little bit cooler...

Did you measure it with a thermometer? I think the "cooling" was probably in your imagination.

1. ¿Do you guys think that the heat problem was because of a lack of ground?

No.

2. Due to the fact that sometimes I do not have a pc at hand to power the arduino, ¿ could I use an Iphone 5 charger (output 5V  & 1 A)?

Yes.

I have heard that what´s important in chargers is the voltage and that I the charger gives you more amps that the load needs it does not matter because the load will use  only the amps needed...

Correct.

Any thoughts ?

If it's keeping you awake, get one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221461661634

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

Go Up