Go Down

Topic: Atmega328pu standalone upload sketch via Usbasp..how can i do it; (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

john1993

lol. i love how posts are parroted in attempt to "clear up confusion" but usually just cause more. tmi is the phrase i think.

just to carry on that policy i will repeat that after trying both programming methods for me isp comes out on top in terms of simplicity and certainly speed. also note that isp is required for ALL chips before a boot can even be installed. for many avr, specially smaller tiny series, bootloaders are not even an option.

so worth noting that cost of a usbasp is less than that of a usbasp plus serial adapter. smart hobbyist of course will stock more than one of each considering how cheap they are.

on those rare occasions when an led does not suffice for debugging then serial does come in handy. even then i personally prefer isp for the programming part for reasons mentioned. i suspect those who disagree do so more out of ritual/tradition than efficiency or economy. "because thats the way its done!"

OldSteve

for many avr, specially smaller tiny series, bootloaders are not even an option.
That's the other reason I use ISP programming - I use ATtiny85s a lot, and wouldn't dream of installing a bootloader on them.

on those rare occasions when an led does not suffice for debugging
I come from a PIC programming background, and have used LEDs successfully for debugging for many years. Also, more often than not I'm working away from the computer, too far for a serial cable, so a LED is more suited to the purpose.
Please do not PM me for help. I am not a personal consultant.
And others will benefit as well if you post your question publicly on the forums.

john1993

ha... great minds think alike.

regarding t85 there are actually some available and ive even written a couple but dont use them myself.  t13 with room for only 512 instructions... as the guard said to dorothy, thats a horse of a different color.  truth is MOST avrs do not have a bootloader available.

pliniobabo

Hello Guys, I think the original question resides on the pinout of UISBASP. It HAS a txd and a RXD. If we have a TXD, RXD and a RST (hope it can be a DTR...) Has anyone tried this way? I recently bought a USBASP board and confess never used it yet. I use to do it with a "big" programmer or a buffered TX/RX/DTR to USB adapter.

Go Up