Go Down

Topic: Power Up and Power Down the GPRS Shield (Read 601 times) previous topic - next topic

lympe_k

May 29, 2016, 11:22 pm Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 12:45 am by lympe_k
Hello to everyone .

I have this GPRS Shield and i don't know how to Power Up and Power Down with Software Triger (Pin 9)

I have try the following code as power up subroutine for Arduino using software triger but nothing
Code: [Select]
void powerUp()
{
 pinMode(9, OUTPUT);
 digitalWrite(9,LOW);
 delay(1000);
 digitalWrite(9,HIGH);
 delay(2000);
 digitalWrite(9,LOW);
 delay(3000);
}

What i am doing wrong?
I have read that must solder something like " JP " but in my shield i didn't find it.

PaulS

I have this GPRS Shield
I can't see what you are pointing at.
The art of getting good answers lies in asking good questions.

lastchancename

Apart from the above comments, it is entirely dependent on -
the type of shield,
how the power control is presented,
the type of modem on the shield.

First stop, check the shield manual, then the modems datasheets.

Worth noting that different manufacturers, and modems from the same manufacturer - use different timing.
Q: How many searches did you make before posting this question?      A: none
At the very least, take a guess at the solution, then we can help move forward from what you know already.

lympe_k

I forgot to add the picture. Unfortunately I can not find the shield manual, is a product from ebay that's all.

I think for the software power Up/Down must use Pin 6 but i don't know the timings.

lastchancename

The timing is dependent on the specific modem chipset (possibly SIMCOM 800 / 900 / 5320 - or other brands)  e.g. The SIM 900 (2G), and SIM 5320 (3G) use different power-control pulse timing.

Find the modem manual (read the part number label on the actual modem chip) - it will have a complete paragraph (and more) on power control - which defines the min and max pulse length requirements for power-on and power off.

The shield pins are defined by how those modem pins are brought out on the specific shield PCB...
[ On the SIM900 & 5320 shields that I have -- Power-control is on Arduino pin D8 ]
But the pulse durations are DIFFERENT !
At the very least, take a guess at the solution, then we can help move forward from what you know already.

PaulS

is a product from ebay that's all.
It's crap, then. Why would you buy something based on a pretty picture? Sucker.
The art of getting good answers lies in asking good questions.

lympe_k

Finally i found the solution.
I will present it here for those who have the similar Shield and my problem.

If you connect (solder) the R13 you can set D9 Pin to HIGH for one second to turn the module ON or OFF

Code: [Select]
{
 pinMode(9, OUTPUT);

digitalWrite(9,HIGH);
 delay(1000);
 digitalWrite(9,LOW);
 delay(5000);
}

Αnd this is where the R13 is located on the shield.

pawsecat

Thanks Lymp_K.  My shield is very slightly different but a simple test confirmed direct link pin 9 to R13 and I have seen a schematic before showing that solution for code power-up. So I tested it with a jumper lead and worked perfectly so now I have soldered it and its working.
Thanks again.

Joyia

Finally i found the solution.
I will present it here for those who have the similar Shield and my problem.

Can you help me on how to connect the GSM shield to arduino ?

lastchancename

Can you help me on how to connect the GSM shield to arduino ?
@Joyia - please start your own thread so that others can follow your progress and success.
It's very likely someone will help you - since this has been done a thousand different ways/times.
Just FWIW, the SIM900 is a 2G modem, and it's life expectancy is not optimistic, when the telcos in your country turn 2G off.

Go Up