Go Down

Topic: Autonomous Car & Plane (Read 850 times) previous topic - next topic

Wcallum

hi,  so I'm new to Arduino.  (so new I haven't even ordered one yet.) and I was wondering if someone could hep me with what I should buy for the project.  I have an RC car and plan on making a plane (I have made several before).  the issue that I can see is that the car and plane will require PWM outputs.  for the car I have 2 inputs from my receiver and 2 outputs, the boards I have seen have 6 PWM inputs / outputs.  But for the plane, i will need 4 inputs and 4 outputs.  this is more than the 6 and I was planning on adding more later for more functions.

I have heard that there is a way to turn normal outputs into PWM outputs by timing them with on and off.  would this mean that all the outputs would be PWM?  or only some more. 

I am also not sure which board I would need to get but I was thinking of the Arduino Uno.  is that a good choice?

is there a simple kit set of pieces for the Arduino?  I was thinking of something with some simple parts like wires and a breadboard.

finally,  does anyone know of a good GPS and a 3 axis magnetometer that would work with an Arduino?  or a compass instead of a 3 axis magotomiter.

Thanks for reading all of this and I really appreciate the hep from you all!!!!

thanks

Callum

AWOL

What do you want the PWM for?
Servo/ESC control or direct motor speed control?

If the former, just use the Servo library on any pin.
"Pete, it's a fool (who) looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.
I speak for myself, not Arduino.

PaulS

Aug 31, 2016, 02:54 pm Last Edit: Aug 31, 2016, 02:55 pm by PaulS
But for the plane, i will need 4 inputs and 4 outputs.  this is more than the 6 and I was planning on adding more later for more functions.
There are no PWM input pins on any Arduino. There are analog pins and there are pins that can output PWM.
The art of getting good answers lies in asking good questions.

Wcallum

What do you want the PWM for?
Servo/ESC control or direct motor speed control?

If the former, just use the Servo library on any pin.

Hi, thanks for the quick reply,  I will use them for the servos and escs.  I have all the motors already connected to the esc's

and what is the servo library?

AWOL

Hi, thanks for the quick reply,  I will use them for the servos and escs.  I have all the motors already connected to the esc's

and what is the servo library?
Try here
"Pete, it's a fool (who) looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.

Wcallum

There are no PWM input pins on any Arduino. There are analog pins and there are pins that can output PWM.
oh,  i thought that i could input through the same PWM pins.  is there a way to input PWM from a rc receiver.  i have a Hitec receiver.

thanks

AWOL

Wcallum

You could try this
so it is possible to deal with the inputs and outputs.  the other thing is do you know of any good compases and gps's? and would a 3 axis magnetometer give me all of my rotations? as in Yaw, roll and pitch.

AWOL

Maybe a good starting point would be Ardupilot

Wcallum

Maybe a good starting point would be Ardupilot
yer, I considered it.  but i don't want to have one to fly,  i am experienced with coding and enjoy working things out.  so to me an Ardupilot is pointless. I just want to work on a project like this.  and that is why i am starting on a car... I want to get used to it first,

I have to go for a bit but will ba back soon

thanks for all the help!!

Go Up