Go Down

Topic: Arduino not working (Read 602 times) previous topic - next topic

Spidey

Dec 06, 2016, 10:25 am Last Edit: Dec 06, 2016, 10:32 am by Spidey
Hello everyone..
I am not able to upload sketch to my arduino...
See the pic of my arduino..i dont know which board it is..just got it from a friend

arduino_314

It seems to me quite crusty...
Probably oxidation make the job well done...

It may be some clone. Can you read what is wrote on top of Atmel chip?

NewStudent

Dec 06, 2016, 01:23 pm Last Edit: Dec 06, 2016, 02:27 pm by NewStudent
Hey first of all you need to supply us more information about your problem you can start with giving us the error message in
Code: [Select]
code tags
and you can check your selected board your selected COM port and if none of them are wrong but you are still getting errors you should check the USB to Serial chip and get the driver for it

Have a nice day! :)
When life gives you lemons...
              Demand to see life's manager.

ballscrewbob

Dec 06, 2016, 02:49 pm Last Edit: Dec 06, 2016, 02:50 pm by Ballscrewbob
It looks like you have a UNO.

You could start by making sure of a few things.

1. Make sure you select UNO in the board manager.

2. Make sure you select the correct COM port (under windows)

3. If you have USB 2.0 and 3.0 then make sure you use the USB 2.0 port.

4. You could go here and ensure you have the latest drivers (although maybe not necessary) as your is an FTDI driver chip.

5. The board does look like it has suffered a little bit maybe get a magnifying glass and check for any obvious dry joints.

6. If it shows on your computer then perform the loopback test listed at the top of the forum.

7. There may be specific issues under MAC OS so a "search" of the forum for your specific OS may turn up some useful clues.

8. And hopefully not maybe your friend handed you a dead UNO.

9. Change the USB cable out and try another one.

10. IGNORE any message's about unsigned drivers (windows)

These suggestions are not in any particular order btw.
It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

arduino_314

Dec 06, 2016, 03:39 pm Last Edit: Dec 06, 2016, 03:45 pm by arduino_314
It looks like you have a UNO.

1. Make sure you select UNO in the board manager.

3. If you have USB 2.0 and 3.0 then make sure you use the USB 2.0 port.
Some Arduino clones indeed have ATmega 168/328 or even 8. It is unclear what it is in this case.

Is it confirmed incompatibility with USB 3.0 ports? By USB standard, it is fully backward compatible. Some recent laptops do not have 2.0 ports at all.

CrossRoads

Try Duemilanove as well, as it appears to have FT232 for the USB/Serial adapter.
Drivers for FT232 can be found here www.ftdichip.com

If the bootloader has been changed to Uno, then select Uno as the board type.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

CrossRoads

Can also get another bootloaded chip so you know where you're starting from for sure, from Dipmicro.com, adafruit.com, sparkfun.com.  Are you in the US?
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Onlytools

Ola. Estou criando um Projeto em que o meu objetivo é criar um sensor que pode ser inserido na carcaça do celular com a seguinte característica: Quando me afasto do objeto numa distãncia de até 5 metros, dispara um bip. Qual a melhor solução em placas arduino para a implementação? Ja estudei a Plca Tx e RX, mas achei distante do que eu estou tentando criar. Alguma sugestão?

ballscrewbob

@ arduino_314

Did you take the time to examine the picture ?
It CLEARLY shows an FTDI chip by the USB connector.

Also as far as USB 3.0 issues go it is well documented and proved but you would have known that had you taken the time to look the matter up in here.

There are caveats with regards USB 3.0 but they are well documented too.

I know on occasion I rush into an answer but some things I do have either experience in, or first hand knowledge.
By no means do i know as much about everything as many of the great members in here with fantastic stats and on occasion I get it wrong, but some aspects are natural to me with over 40 years total in IT in many aspects.

I will refer you to a simple post about USB 3.0 to expand your knowledge.
There are pl3enty more instances but I know that you can use the search option to find them.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

arduino_314

Dec 06, 2016, 04:41 pm Last Edit: Dec 06, 2016, 04:50 pm by arduino_314
@ arduino_314

Did you take the time to examine the picture ?
It CLEARLY shows an FTDI chip by the USB connector.

I do not actually see from picture any marks clearly.

Naturally, you can get the fake chips on board, as I once got FTDI board from local store... Also I have bunch of fake J310, expensively paid from another local store. Could be concluded then without reasonable doubt that all local stores sell fake products? I can hardly doubt, but certainly if something look like it is, does not meant it is actually. In this world full of fake products, some things are clear to me only if they work according to specification.

Regarding USB 3.0 " incompatibility" issue. I can hardly doubt that is possible if chipset is made according to spec. One isolated incident you pointed is not sufficient to break the standard - again fake chipset may be used.

ballscrewbob

Dec 06, 2016, 04:48 pm Last Edit: Dec 06, 2016, 04:58 pm by Ballscrewbob
@ arduino_314

Odd as I can make it out very well here.

However I cropped into the desired area to help you see the down loadable picture may be a little better as the forum constrains pics.

With regards USB 3.0.

You CLEARLY failed to do any sort of real search and get the facts yourself so it is quite clear you are not willing to learn or search.

I took the liberty of doing one for you HERE

On further inspection of the board it clearly is an earlier "copy" of a UNO.
But that does not mean the "fake" FTDI chips will not work.
Although the chips were copies they were for the very most part fully working copies.
FTDI gate is well behind us and the driver updates since that time work quite well with those copies.

A clone or copy does NOT always mean it is a non working chip or assembly.
I have some clones / copies here with FTDI and they work very well thank you.

If you can even bother to read the whole FTDI gate story including the after stories you will see that FTDI took a hit over it and changed the policy on the FTDI and that it is quite easy to use the fake chips.

arduino_314

You CLEARLY failed to do any sort of real search and get the facts yourself so it is quite clear you are not willing to learn.
How fast you jump in wrong conclusions...

Did you read fully official USB 3.0 spec? It is avaiiable from USB promoters and point me line where is specifically wrote it is not compatible with any previous USB standards.

I'm not far away from your age, so please stop insinuate.

ballscrewbob

LMAO you are going by what the specs say should be the case and not what is in the market place.

Stick by your "view" and I will stick by both hands on experience of others besides myself and facts.

arduino_314

Dec 06, 2016, 05:32 pm Last Edit: Dec 06, 2016, 06:24 pm by arduino_314
LMAO you are going by what the specs say should be the case and not what is in the market place.

Stick by your "view" and I will stick by both hands on experience of others besides myself and facts.
Fair enough. From this kind of reactions I avoiding similar forums.

Products must be made fully respecting spec. otherwise they are fake or partially worked. The fact that no one will use USB 2.0 devices few years in the future (and probably 3.0 when 3.1 become massive ) make no difference. Saving few cents of copper to make circuits, make millions on other side... I will stick with products follow full spec, you stick with whatever you consider is "correct".

I will close further similar discussion and wait for OP to answer.

Go Up