Go Down

Topic: Arduino Leonardo Writing to a file (Read 115 times) previous topic - next topic

mxttymitch

Hi,

I'll quickly explain some context. Last year I built a roller coaster control panel using industrial push buttons and an arduino leonardo. Each button corresponds to a keyboard key.

I don't know if a leonardo can use an LCD display, I am hoping yes but from my research I don't think you can.

Since I don't think you can I think writing to a text file is the next best option.
Basically, I use a flash based program which is run chrome. Is it possible to have a text file on the side and have the arduino write to it live?

UKHeliBob

What makes you think that a Leonardo can't write to an LCD, because it certainly can.
Please do not send me PMs asking for help.  Post in the forum then everyone will benefit from seeing the questions and answers.

mxttymitch

What makes you think that a Leonardo can't write to an LCD, because it certainly can.
I saw somewhere about it being the Mega or something.

I don't think my Arduino has enough pins left for the LCD anyway.

Can you do the writing to a text file live while being active in another program/using another program

JAPLUINO

im pretty sure you can use an lcd in arduino leonardo is a board like the others try it watch a tutorial on how to use it ;)

UKHeliBob

I don't think my Arduino has enough pins left for the LCD anyway.
How many pins do you have left, both digital and analogue ?
Please do not send me PMs asking for help.  Post in the forum then everyone will benefit from seeing the questions and answers.

MorganS

The Leonardo can't write to a text file on your PC. The connection simply doesn't allow it. You would not like to have a virus on your phone that damages files on your PC when you plug it in to charge it would you?

You can have the Leonardo output serial data. Then you can have a program running on the PC to receive the serial data. You can write the programs yourself or look on the internet for some other options.

An LCD is going to be best. SPI, I2C or serial LCDs exist, so they don't use a lot of pins and can even share pins with other devices.
"The problem is in the code you didn't post."

Go Up