Go Down

Topic: Project Frying Nanos! Assistance Greatly Appreciated. (Read 422 times) previous topic - next topic

TomGeorge

Mar 24, 2019, 08:30 am Last Edit: Mar 24, 2019, 08:37 am by TomGeorge
Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html . Then look down to item #7 about how to post your code.
It will be formatted in a scrolling window that makes it easier to read.

Can you please post a copy of your circuit, in CAD or a picture of a hand drawn circuit in jpg, png?
PLEASE use a pen/cil and paper and take a picture.

Can you post a picture of your project so we can see your component layout?

With your DMM check the voltage from gnd to A1 as you turn the potentiometer.

Thanks.. Tom... :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

schallis

Mar 24, 2019, 08:48 pm Last Edit: Mar 24, 2019, 08:53 pm by schallis
Hey folks, thanks again for replying!

I plugged my project in this morning to discover it worked again for a while before the symptom returned. It seems to work briefly and then quit as if it has some sort of overheat/circuit protection. Do Nanos have such a function natively?

Also, I was not aware of buck converters. They seem pretty straight forward.

Would this be suitable?

I've got a bin full of old USB car chargers with obsolete phone connectors on them. Would cannibalizing one of those to use as a supply work just as well?

So, from what I gathered by everyone's responses. I should use a dedicated power supply which provides 5v to the Nano and relay separately rather than passing though the 5v rail on the Nano itself?

Still, if I'm having these problems when powering via USB and not VIN, why would the voltage regulator be to blame?

Thanks again everyone!

schallis

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html . Then look down to item #7 about how to post your code.
It will be formatted in a scrolling window that makes it easier to read.

Can you please post a copy of your circuit, in CAD or a picture of a hand drawn circuit in jpg, png?
PLEASE use a pen/cil and paper and take a picture.

Can you post a picture of your project so we can see your component layout?

With your DMM check the voltage from gnd to A1 as you turn the potentiometer.

Thanks.. Tom... :)
Hi, Tom! The voltage on A1 ranges between 0 and 4.75.

Was my circuit diagram made in paint missing anything? I did attach a larger file at the bottom of the post as well as embedding it.

Wawa

I've got a bin full of old USB car chargers with obsolete phone connectors on them. Would cannibalizing one of those to use as a supply work just as well?
Yes.

Connect the 5volt output to the 5volt pin of the Nano (not V-in).
Leo..

Paul__B

You need to go back and edit your first post to enclose the code in code tags, not a quote.

Here's an interesting suggestion.

Instead of using a potentiometer to set the period of intermittent wipes, a quite brilliant design in Electronics Australia magazine many years ago used two buttons and analog, not digital logic.

Press the "+" button - the wipers give one wipe.  When the screen needs wiping again, press the button again.  It will wipe and keep wiping at the interval set by the two button presses.  If you need to wipe sooner, press the button again.

If it wipes before you need it to, press the "-" button.  It will not wipe again but if you now press the "+" button, it will continue to wipe at the interval set from when it last did wipe.

Using a microcontroller, extra functionality can be added, such as pressing longer to cause two (or more) wipes instead of one, pressing twice in rapid succession causes it to wipe continuously.

david_2018

VW/Audi used to make a "programmable" intermittent wiper relay.
To program the wipe interval, turn the intermittent wiper on and then back off, so that the wipers wipe once.
Wait the desired delay between wipes, and turn the intermittent wipers back on.
From then on, it remembers the interval and continues to wipe at that rate till turned off.

Some descriptions also mention that you can change the interval by turning off the intermittent wipers, waiting the desired new interval, and then turning the wipers back on.

Paul__B

Basically the same algorithm.  But apart from the two-speed wipers, the two buttons (or a flick stick) would be the only ones necessary anyway, as two presses of the "+" would be continuous.

A third press could go to high speed.

TomGeorge

Hi,
Have you looked  at the vehicles wiper motor schematic, to use wiper dwell you need more than just a COM and NO pair of contacts.
Wipers AUTOPARK, usually through a brush and commutator system on the wiper main drive gear.

But can you post a picture of your project please?

Thanks.. Tom.. :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

GoForSmoke

Also, I was not aware of buck converters. They seem pretty straight forward.
Maybe clean up the car power you feed the buck converter, car power can be nasty.

All made to take car power!  But can one deliver enough amps to power a windshield wiper?

1) http://gammon.com.au/blink  <-- tasking Arduino 1-2-3
2) http://gammon.com.au/serial <-- techniques howto
3) http://gammon.com.au/interrupts
Your sketch can sense ongoing process events in time.
Your sketch can make events to control it over time.

Go Up