Go Down

Topic: my server is dying!!!! (Read 414 times) previous topic - next topic

larryd

You seem to have a lot of problems, time to take a holiday from it all.

Head south for a month.

No technical PMs.
The last thing you did is where you should start looking.

travis_farmer

Head south for a month.
i would if i could, but i can't.

hey, when you get board, sometimes you have to create your own adventure. :D i just didn't intend to make this particular adventure. :D what i need is for my father and i to get some work, so i can get a little cash flow coming in.

in any case, hackers didn't get my server. at least not the intentional external variety.  :o
so... i guess i can return to the regularly scheduled programing. whatever that is.

~Travis
Current Obsession: Photography, astronomy, server rack cooler.
Check out my website, i have my own very under-used forum on my hobby server.

msssltd

Today at 10:29 am Last Edit: Today at 10:29 am by msssltd
That's fine if it is all you have to do all day. 
If a hacker get's through the perimeter I might be up all night :eek

More seriously.  The benefit depends on what you are trying to achieve.

If you are looking to host a dinky little static web site, consuming a couple 100Mb a month, that makes no contribution to essential revenue, sure, shared tenancy hosting (cpanel) is a no brainer.  You ain't never going to recover the cap-ex and time invested in commissioning your own server.  However, as needs get more complex, bandwidth requirements rise or revenue dependence increases,  the cost / benefit shifts towards ownership.

Shared tenancy.  Having someone else look after the platform for a <$1 a day sounds great but it's a  little like Windows Update.  The hosting company makes changes without reference.  Sometimes those changes require applications to be refactored, and you get little warning.  Sometimes the hosting company messes up and you end up carrying the cost of their mistakes, as well as your own.  And sometimes, because hosting companies make money by selling off their headroom, they oversell and your site degrades to a crawl while you wait for them to upgrade.

VPS is interesting. It looks attractive even to me but every time I do the math, like for like, owning hardware works out cheaper over 3 years.  If you don't have a server sitting around and need a platform to pilot, I guess a VPS can make sense.

AWS (cloud) is like a drug pusher.  Costs nothing to get started but the more you become invested, the more the nickel and dimes add up.  When you realise the cost of moving has gotten enormous, you are already addicted.

Co-Location.  It's expensive but for protecting critical revenues it is often the best choice.  The biggest drawback is the narrow margin for error.  If you mess up so badly you have to visit the data-centre, it can be hours in the car.

Internal (Private network).  The big advantages are convenience and virtually free, virtually limitless bandwidth.  The big disadvantage is if you need to get to it from the public network (internet) the opposite applies.

In all cases, your server is never better than the person looking after it.  I support shared hosting, co-location and  internal servers.  Guess which is the least consistent and requires the most non-scheduled intervention - Yep, it's the shared hosting.

Overall though, I spend far more time fixing my desktops than fixing my servers.  People forget how much time they end up investing in the irritations caused by the computer on their desk.  Sure, servers need the investment all at once but if you get the commissioning right, and don't continually tinker like Travis, a server (should) need relatively little intervention over it's life time.

msssltd

Just Karma getting her own back.

On another thread, Travis was having a go at newbies to Arduino blaming the IDE, the forum, anything but themselves.  Here he is, a day later, doing the same thing with his server.  He knows what a path variable does.  He knows to check the things he recently changed.  He blamed 'Hackers' ;)

Must be Karma.

travis_farmer

Sure, servers need the investment all at once but if you get the commissioning right, and don't continually tinker like Travis, a server (should) need relatively little intervention over it's life time.
go ahead, get your laughing in ;) we all like to tinker, don't we? this is a tinker community here. :P

Just Karma getting her own back.

On another thread, Travis was having a go at newbies to Arduino blaming the IDE, the forum, anything but themselves.  Here he is, a day later, doing the same thing with his server.  He knows what a path variable does.  He knows to check the things he recently changed.  He blamed 'Hackers' ;)

Must be Karma.

yeah, yeah. get your laughs in. :P i already took ownership of causing the problem.

i am thinking of eventually spreading out my services to separate servers. PWS on one, internet radio server on another, critical file storage on another. this way, if one goes down, the others still work. no more all-in-one.

i have a drive-less 4U server i can make the critical file storage, as intended. this will not be accessible from the internet, for obvious reasons. that leaves the internet radio. i just have to find something to run that on. more likely, i would move my PWS to a different server, as suggested a while back. and then i could use the PE1950 for the internet radio only. something less critical. for a tired server.

the 4U server was built from a bare case, with components added slowly. the components were new when i bought them, but in the computer world, they are probably already obsolete. i don't even remember what parts it has now. :D

~Travis

msssltd

go ahead, get your laughing in ;) we all like to tinker, don't we? this is a tinker community here. :P
No laughing on my part.  Tinker away.  But my advice is don't tinker with servers installed for production use  (the context I was replying to).

yeah, yeah. get your laughs in. :P i already took ownership of causing the problem.
Nope.  I'm not the judgemental type.  The threads criticising newbies for not behaving the way others want them to cause me genuine discomfort.  I do however, appreciate irony a great deal.

i am thinking of eventually spreading out my services to separate servers. PWS on one, internet radio server on another, critical file storage on another. this way, if one goes down, the others still work. no more all-in-one.
It's a balancing act.  Sometimes it's better to invest the time running one server well.  I don't suppose you will ever see enough traffic to need more than one 'front end' server.  The storage server fair enough, the use case and risks are sufficiently different to warrant it.  You already know my opinion of your PE1950 - It's a waste of electricity. 

But I'm not you.

travis_farmer

It's a balancing act.  Sometimes it's better to invest the time running one server well.  I don't suppose you will ever see enough traffic to need more than one 'front end' server.  The storage server fair enough, the use case and risks are sufficiently different to warrant it.  You already know my opinion of your PE1950 - It's a waste of electricity. 

But I'm not you.
i do agree about the PE1950, but i am trying to make do with what i have right now. the money has run out, hopefully temporarily. i so very much desire a newer server, but they are way out of my budget right now. i have exactly $37.88, and that wouldn't even cover shipping.
I would gladly trade my motorcycle for a new rack server, but there is nobody local that would want the trade.

~Travis

Qdeathstar

in any case, hackers didn't get my server. at least not the intentional external variety.  :o
so... i guess i can return to the regularly scheduled programing. whatever that is.

~Travis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranoid_schizophrenia
A creaking creeping shadow
stiff against the freezing fog
glares at a tickless watch.

Time has failed him -- all things shall pass.

travis_farmer

Go Up