Go Down

Topic: New to PCB design: Need advice. Plus low cost PCB Fab. (Read 2059 times) previous topic - next topic

codlink

This is my first PCB design and would like some advice on it.  Basically it's just a 595 Shift Reg that will control a series of LEDs hooked to an Arduino.

Secondly, would like to know a reputable online source for this PCBs fabrication.  Just need a few boards made.  One problem I am finding with online fabs is that I am using Fritzing for design.  When I export to Gerber files, the online sites don't like them. Can anyone recommend a good site for Fritzing?  I looked at Fritzing for the fab work and they seem expensive. 

Any thoughts?

Thanks for reading.
//LiNK

madworm

I can't see anything unusual with your gerber files. I didn't check for electrical sanity though.

If you only need a small number of boards made, have a look at OSHPARK (formerly Laen's PCB service - dorkbotpdx). Very good quality, but the boards are purple ;-) It costs 5$ per square inch for 3 boards. Everything is US-made if you should care for these things.
• Upload doesn't work? Do a loop-back test.
• There's absolutely NO excuse for not having an ISP!
• Your AVR needs a brain surgery? Use the online FUSE calculator.
My projects: RGB LED matrix, RGB LED ring, various ATtiny gadgets...
• Microsoft is not the answer. It is the question, and the answer is NO!

codlink

Thanks for the reply.  I did check that site, but I seen they only do 2 or more layers.  Mine is only single-sided.  That was also the site that gave me trouble on the files.  Says I was missing files..

The following errors were found with your design:
I couldn't identify a top layer
I couldn't identify a top solder mask

Should I just email them?
//LiNK

madworm

Ah...

Surely you can export an _empty_ top-copper and top-mask layer? Is there a specific reason why your mounting holes are not on both copper layers? That would solve that 'issue'.

Believe me, they don't care if layers are empty ;-)
• Upload doesn't work? Do a loop-back test.
• There's absolutely NO excuse for not having an ISP!
• Your AVR needs a brain surgery? Use the online FUSE calculator.
My projects: RGB LED matrix, RGB LED ring, various ATtiny gadgets...
• Microsoft is not the answer. It is the question, and the answer is NO!

codlink

How do I do that in Fritzing?  This is my first design.
//LiNK

codlink

Ok, I got it.  Had to change the PCB board to Double-Sided...

Thanks
//LiNK

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy