Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Adding bluetooth feature to camera  (Read 1779 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi

Could I modify a camera and make it also transmit files via bluetooth using an Arduino? The camera already stores files in a micro SD, but how do I add bluetooth to the camera? Would I be reading the files back from the SD or somehow store the images in a separate flash then transmit them via bluetooth?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

Gosport, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

I know it's not bluetooth, but have you seen http://www.eye.fi/ ?

View Profile

I know it's not bluetooth, but have you seen http://www.eye.fi/ ?

Thanks. Yes, I've looked at that one before, but I guess I'd prefer Bluetooth.

Austin, TX
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

Could I modify a camera and make it also transmit files via bluetooth using an Arduino?
How are you going to (physically) access the SD device on the camera? 

Are you going to find a bluetooth module that supports file transfers or are you going to write the drivers from ground up?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 03:34:23 pm by James C4S » Logged

Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

View Profile

Not easily.

How are you going to (physically) access the SD device?

Are you going to find a bluetooth module that supports file transfers or are you going to write the drivers from ground up?

The camera already has a SD card slot, so I was hoping to somehow read from it as well.

I'm looking at this bluetooth module: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/wireless-bluetooth-rs232-ttl-transceiver-module-80711 but I'm not sure if I'll still need to write my own drivers.

Thanks

Austin, TX
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

The camera already has a SD card slot, so I was hoping to somehow read from it as well.
Okay, well how?  First you'll need physical access to it, won't you?  So, start by tearing your camera apart, see where you can solder wires, and go from there.

I'm looking at this bluetooth module
Okay well, that's a serial device.  Bluetooth isn't a generic protocol.  All devices conform to a profile.  Serial profile doesn't support file transfers.  So you'll have to write some software on the PC side to communicate with your arduino and reconstruct whatever data you send into a "file."

Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

View Profile

Okay, well how?  First you'll need physical access to it, won't you?  So, start by tearing your camera apart, see where you can solder wires, and go from there.

Sure. I know there are 8 pins connected to it, but could a bluetooth module like the one I mentioned make use of these pins directly? Would I need to somehow convert between the interface of the SD card and the interface of the module?

I'm looking at this bluetooth module
Okay well, that's a serial device.  Bluetooth isn't a generic protocol.  All devices conform to a profile.  Serial profile doesn't support file transfers.  So you'll have to write some software on the PC side to communicate with your arduino and reconstruct whatever data you send into a "file."

I see. So if serial profile doesn't support file transfers, what is the format of the transmitted data?

Thanks

I'm 15. I like making things. I like breaking things better.
View Profile

Given the hardware you've shown, and the constraints of the atmega328's limited RAM, the most feasible way I can see of doing this would be breaking out the wires from the sd card, and connecting them to digitally controlled SPDT switches or the like, so you can make the arduino switch the sd card from the camera to the arduino (just make sure youre not interrupting a file write). Then read out the file from the sd card to the arduino, sending a few bytes at a time over serial to the BT module to a computer, listening over BT serial, and then writing a program to reassemble the file. Lots of hoops to jump through, but very doable.
Good luck!

Alice asked the Chesire Cat, who was sitting in a tree, "What road do I take?"
The cat asked, "Where do you want to go?"
"I don't know," Ali

Gosport, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

Then read out the file from the sd card to the arduino

If you are just going to attach to the SD card slot pins, then you are bypassing the camera's SD controller, so you'll have to take on that role too. You'll either need to hack an SD shield to connect the camera's SD card to the shield's controller, or try and bit-bang it in software.

Quite how you would fit all of this inside an existing camera, along with power to run it all, I have no idea.

Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Before you open your camera and start modifying it to accommodate the BT module, I suggest you build a small rig with an Arduino + BT module and write the software to send/receive a file through BT. This challenge will keep you busy for a while.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: