Go Down

Topic: A question about XBEE (Read 847 times) previous topic - next topic

NickH

Dear forum,
I have recently made a sketch that uses an arduino uno with an ethernet shield attached to a router to interact wirelessly with my iPad/iphone using TouchOSC. It allows control of various microscope functions.

I hoped I could dispense with the ethernet shield and router by using a wireless shield and XBEE. Having spent a bit of time trawling through the internet, I now wonder if this will work.

Can someone tell me whether an XBEE and wireless shield can be configured as a wireless ethernet device that could communicate directly with iPhone/ipad? I don't want to use a computer intermediary.

I since found that there is a wifi shield on the market which I guess does exactly what I want but since I have already purchased the XBEE, I thought I would ask in case there is a way of using it.

If it is possible, can you suggest which library might be a good starting point.

I am currently using the following libraries so if I can use the same ones, it would be great:
Code: [Select]

#include <SPI.h>
#include <Ethernet.h> // Tested in version IDE 0022 Arduino UNO
#include <Z_OSC.h>

Thanks,
Nick

Jack Christensen

XBees come in at least a dozen different flavors and they differ significantly from one to another, they are not all interchangeable. Do you know what part number you have? There is a Wi-Fi model that is relatively new, I haven't seen a lot of discussion on it, actually.

NickH

Hello Jack,
I have an XBee S1.

Bests,
Nick

Jack Christensen

XBee Series 1 modules use the 802.15.4 standard, Wi-Fi is 802.11, so no, that particular XBee cannot be configured as a wireless Ethernet device. The Wi-Fi model would be this one.

NickH

Thanks. Do you know whether the wifi version you pointed to would need an additional library? I am hoping the code I have written using ethernet and a router would work with minimal modification.

Best wishes,
Nick

Jack Christensen

I would assume that the Arduino Ethernet library, which supports the W5100 chip, would not work.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy