Go Down

Topic: rs232 rfid reader to arduino uno (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

rushezz

The output of my RFID reader is rs232 and im currently using a rs232-ttl converter to connect it to my arduino MCU.(http://www.lipoly.de/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=880_2612_2669&products_id=163671). I currently cant get any output . Im using a simple code where the LED will blink and it will print "receive" on the serial monitor when there is data coming in. (codes shown below). when i scan the card on the RFID reader, the LED on the arduino wont blink and when i open the serial monitor, i wont get the message "received". Do i have to initialize the RFID reader or some sort? or am i connecting it wronly?  The TXD from the rs232-ttl is connected to pin 2 while the RXD from the rs232-ttl device is connected to pin 3 of the arduino ( i have tried connecting them in the other fashion) , the ground and vcc are connected to the arduino accordingly as well.
The RFID im using is this one:  http://www.rfidshop.com.hk/datasheet/UHF-Reader/CD-UHF-MP-RW-232.zip

Thanks ,
Jason

#include <SoftwareSerial.h>

#define rxPin 2
#define txPin 3
#define ledPin 13

// set up a new serial port
SoftwareSerial mySerial =  SoftwareSerial(rxPin, txPin);

void setup()  {
  // define pin modes for tx, rx, led pins:
  pinMode(rxPin, INPUT);
  pinMode(txPin, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);
  // set the data rate for the SoftwareSerial port
  mySerial.begin(9600);
}

void loop() {
   if (Serial.available() > 0) {
  // listen for new serial coming in:
  char someChar = mySerial.read();

Serial.print("received: ");
  digitalWrite(13, HIGH);   // set the LED on
  delay(1000);              // wait for a second
  digitalWrite(13, LOW);    // set the LED off
  delay(1000);   
   }
}

wildbill

Not that this is the issue, but you'll need a serial.begin in setup as well.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy