Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: OpenBeam - An Open Sourced construction system on Kickstarter  (Read 1103 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello fellow Arduino users,

My name is Terence Tam, and I'm the creator of the OpenBeam project that is currently on Kickstarter -  http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ttstam/openbeam-an-open-source-miniature-construction-sys .
I started OpenBeam because there just wasn't a good, inexpensive T-slot aluminum prototyping system geared towards robotics applications for all the open-sourced electronics projects out there.  Feel free to check us out on Kickstarter!

Thanks,

-=- Terence

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

Hello fellow Arduino users,

My name is Terence Tam, and I'm the creator of the OpenBeam project that is currently on Kickstarter -  http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ttstam/openbeam-an-open-source-miniature-construction-sys .
I started OpenBeam because there just wasn't a good, inexpensive T-slot aluminum prototyping system geared towards robotics applications for all the open-sourced electronics projects out there.  Feel free to check us out on Kickstarter!

Thanks,

-=- Terence

This looks like a great project; I hope you keep us updated here. I have some future plans for projects using some kind of t-slot, and your system will go into the mix for consideration (when I get to that point). Thanks for the information about it!

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

Very good idea Terence! My prototypes would look 10x better smiley-wink

Its a pity that supporting from Europe adds additional costs : Includes S&H within lower 48 states, add $250 for international shipping by USPS Priority International Parcel - As I think there will be lots of interest outside the US too, maybe spend some time to find an EU manufacturer too?

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

View Profile

Hi Rob,

I am actually in the process of setting up European and Asian distribution networks.  FYI, the $250.00 shipping is for one of the largest kit I'm pre-selling.  It weights in a good hefty 50 kilograms and contains 80 meters of extrusions.  Most people who are buying the kits at that level are pooling resources to buy the kit.  For now, for the individual international buyers, there are lower cost packages specifically engineered to fit into the constraints of first class parcel post. 

I wish there's another way around it, but here in the US, surface parcel service was discontinued in 2007 due to budget cuts to the postal system.  The only way I can ship stuff out is by international priority parcel post.

Once European distribution is figured out (the gentlemen at Makerbeam.EU had already expressed an interest in carrying the product) I'll probably arrange for consolidated ocean shipment by the pallet to them.

-=- Terence

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

Hi Terence,

Thanks for the quick reply, I see Makerbeam.eu is in the Netherlands (where I live) so that sounds very good!

Regards,
Rob

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: