Go Down

Topic: 2 power supplies one breadboard (Read 755 times) previous topic - next topic

bobhawkens

I'm back for another awful newbie question. Thanks in advance for your patience.

I'm going to build my own arduino on a breadboard for an existing pure arduino project. My arduino sketch controls a motor and fan with an external 12v power supply and 2 transistors. Other sensors plug into the breadboard and then the arduino, which is powered by a 5v usb wall wart. I'm trying to combine everything.

Early on, when i knew even less than I do now, I tried to run everything with with the 12v into the vin jack. I fried an atmega that way. So I'm scared of all things power.

Is there a way to have one wall wart to send 5v to arduino and pins and 12v to motor and fan?

robtillaart

a 5V wall ward is too low for an Arduino according to specs... (7-20V ) The voltage will drop a bit due to the voltageregulator ....

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

bobhawkens

Ok, it's just a USB wall wart, so whatever voltage that is. The point is I want to use my 12v external to power fan and motor and arduino, but not mess up the listening sensors. Probably a dumb question but I'd love some resources to figure it out.

robtillaart

you can connect the 12 Volt to the power socket (so not to the Vin or the +5V pin).. The voltage regulator will handle it.
Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

bobhawkens

This will be a standalone atmega328 running as an arduino. So, what voltage regulator should I get? Also, will I branch out the positive pin from the 12v wall wart to the regulator AND the fan and motor? Thanks for your help.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy