Go Down

Topic: Buck converter for small wind turbine project (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Apr 14, 2012, 03:11 pm Last Edit: Apr 14, 2012, 03:17 pm by Burnit0017 Reason: 1
Greetings, I fabricated a Vertical Axis Wind turbine(VAWT) and Permanent Magnet Alternator(PMA). I have road tested the prototype and the max output was 9 amps @ 40 MPH while using 12 volt deep cell as a test load. Basically the faster you spin the PMA the more it acts like a electric brake and most of the energy being produced is lost at the stators as heat. I recently learned that Maximum Power Point Tracking(MPPT) will help solve this problem and allow more of the energy being product to be transferred to the load.  

I have fabricated a Buck Converter(DC to DC Step Down Converter) which is the core circuit of a MPPT without the microcontroller and have verified the benefits of adding such a circuit to the system.  The video shows manual operation of the PMA using the Buck circuit to drive a 50 watt 12 volt light. Max current was about 4 amp.

To produce the same results without using the Buck converter required a 30 MPH wind speed.

I am new to Uno, but have limited experience with other microcontrollers and software.
I am starting to develop the micro interface so a basic MPPT algorithm can be added.

Basic circuit requirements for Uno interface are:

1. Read voltage and current at the output of the Buck converter.

2. Output PWM signal to FOD3180 gate driver to control frequency and duty cycle of the IRF540 N channel mosfet.

Once the Input and Output circuits for the Uno interface are developed then a basic MPPT software algorithm can be written. If possible the Inputs and Outputs should be buffered to protect the Uno. I found a similar project that I am trying to use as a guide.

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time a efforts.

Video's of VAWT with no load, just for fun... 

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131