Go Down

Topic: Recommendations for wireless alarm sensors? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Scott Baker

I'm building an Arduino alarm system. I want to add some wireless sensors, both motion and alarm contact (door) sensors. There are lots of alarm hardware options, does anyone have any recommendations for a place to start? Does anyone have any suggestions for a wireless system that's easy to integrate with an Arduino?

I was really hoping  to get wireless sensors for $10 or $15, and just have those transmit to some wireless receiver that can feed my Arduino. I was thinking something like this: http://www.smarthome.com/7311D/Skylink-WD-318-Household-Alert-Door-Window-Alert-System/p.aspx

Suggestions?

cr0sh

Other than cost, any reason you couldn't RYO (roll-your-own)?

For the comms part, you could use a single RF serial transceiver, and each sensor could have a seperate RF serial transceiver. You could poll each to send back a status (when checking for a status), otherwise, don't poll, and instead wait for a pin-change interrupt from the base transceiver. The sensors would only send when they detect a pin-change interrupt. Each would have an "Arduino" (best would be an ATTiny), with a pin connected to the sensing device (IR, magnet switch, etc); they would need to be coded in such a manner as to be in "sleep" mode and wake-up on the pin change interrupt (either from polling, or sensor status). Each would need its own "address", etc. This will likely cost a bit more than $10-15 dollars each (plus time and effort to build), though.
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy