Go Down

Topic: Byte to Char (Read 375 times) previous topic - next topic

Mattix

I'm sending a byte on a C# side (over a serial port) over to the arduino.  I want the arduino to read that byte and then put that value into a char variable.  My question is, if the value is greater than 127/128 will it be positive and if it's less than that, will it be negative in the new char?

Example:

If I read a byte (value = 255) and I put that value into a character, will it be 127 and if I have another byte (value = 0) will that value become -128?  Thank you very much for the help.

Coding Badly

I want the arduino to read that byte and then put that value into a char variable.  

Code: [Select]
if ( Serial.available() )
{
 char ch;
 ch = Serial.read();
}

Got it.

My question is, if the value is greater than 127 /128 will it be positive

No.  An unsigned eight bit value greater than 127 is interpreted as a negative signed value.

and if it's less than that {128}, will it be negative in the new char?

No.  An unsigned eight bit value less than or equal to 127 is interpreted as a positive signed value.

If I read a byte (value = 255) and I put that value into a character, will it be 127

No.  An unsigned eight bit value of 255 when converted to a signed value is interpreted as a -1.

and if I have another byte (value = 0) will that value become -128?

No.  Zero is zero.

Maybe this will help...

[font=Courier New]   Uns   Hex   Sig
 ----  ----  ----
    0  0x00     0
    1  0x01    +1
    2  0x02    +2
  ...   ...   ...
  126  0x7E  +126
  127  0x7F  +127
  128  0x80  -128
  129  0x81  -127
  130  0x82  -126
  ...   ...   ...
  254  0xFE    -2
  255  0xFF    -1[/font]

Mattix

Ok thank you very much. I think I can use the map function to solve my problem. Have a good day!

Also, I understood hex, just kind of confused what would happen going from signed to unsigned. You cleared that up.

Coding Badly

Ok thank you very much.

You are welcome.

I think I can use the map function to solve my problem.

If you describe the problem I suspect someone here can offer a simpler solution.

Have a good day!

You too!

Mattix

It's nothing too bad.  I don't think I'll have further difficulties, but if I do, I'll post here in a few minutes.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy