Go Down

Topic: SMT oops (Read 647 times) previous topic - next topic

AdeV

I bought a couple of these for a project:

They look nice and chunky in the picture, I should be able to solder that no problem.

Unfortunately, they are only 3mm square.

Oops.

I was thinking I'd use ordinary network cable wire (solid core) soldered (carefully! and through a magnifying glass) to each land to make legs, which could then be arranged to drop into a DIP chip holder... any better ideas? I'm a bit concerned about cooking the chip, should I go for a mega hot tip to reduce heating times, or a low temp to avoid exceeding the max data sheet temp (260 C)?

robtillaart

I bought a couple of these for a project:

They look nice and chunky in the picture

image or link missing?
Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

AdeV

So it is.... I definitely pasted it in :(

Trying again: http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=1971743

Zapro

Forget using solid core network cable, you'll just break off the pads!

Use some 0,1 or 0,15mm magnet wire, that is soft enough that you won't rip off the pads when arranging the connections.

// Per.

James C4S

Keep in mind that the 260°C is for the reflow oven where the entire package is subjected to that heat. 

There's a reason why hobby-vendors supply these on breakout boards.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

AdeV

I've ordered some 175oC solder paste, and some thin wire.... I will either try with the heat gun (to solder all leads at the same time), or the iron for a very brief moment, hopefully the low melting temp + my smallest bit will be good enough.

Agree about the breakout boards, I'm too cheapskate to  buy them.

James C4S

Agree about the breakout boards, I'm too cheapskate to  buy them.

Personally, my time is worth something.  I wouldn't want to spend 2-3 hours trying to solder to a chip that I might ultimately burn up.  Factor in time and frustatio, you'll find that breakout boards can be an awesome value.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

winner10920

Id suggest 30 gauge stranded wire,  it'll be a pain and how are you gonna mount that now?

Go Up