Go Down

Topic: Why don't people just use Windows? (Read 4866 times) previous topic - next topic

JoeO

As much as I don't like Microsoft, it seems that the easiest way to develop projects on the Arduino is to just use Windows.  If you can't or don't want to buy a system, there are many free ones available from friends or relatives.  I see a system left out for the garbage men at least once a week.  If it looks interesting, I pick it up.  Arduino IDE runs fine on XP.  I just picked up a Media Center XP and the thing works great. 
In addition, I am recycling used computers.  I also give some to kids who can't afford them.

Just curious?

robtillaart

Recycling is a good job! 

However it does not fit so well in this sub-forum IMHO, better post it in device hacking?
Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

etherbay

I have found windows to be a pain with arduino.  I started to use Ubuntu 11.01. I am finding it so quick and helpful.  I have also found out that I only need a 16G SSD drive. It is so fast now. Trying new programs out and making changes can mess things up. I just run my image and I have a complete new system in 10 mins. I cannot do that with Windows.  Just a great way to try new programs and do development.

:)

JoeO

Recycling is a good job! 

However it does not fit so well in this sub-forum IMHO, better post it in device hacking?

It was already moved here from where I posted it.

kf2qd

I use windows. It is the OS we use on numerous systems at work. I use Linux some, but it hasn't wanted to connect to my arduino so...

Others have a rather strong aversion to windows so they use something else.

Whatever drives you CRT or LCD...

Grumpy_Mike

As much as I don't like Microsoft, it seems that the easiest way to develop projects on the Arduino is to just use Windows.

So you don't dislike Microsoft enough to totally not want to have anything to do with the retched thing then.
It takes all sorts I suppose.  :smiley-surprise:

dhunt

I find Linux, OSX, and NetBSD all to be superior to windows for development. For the Arduino the IDE makes the experience the same, but I tend to use make files and the command line for my sketch development. I get to use a decent editor (vim) and the code, burn, test cycle is much faster.

Osgeld

cause my dumpster computer instantly blue-screens with windows, and I know how to make arduino work fine with linux (its really not rocket surgery)

ps: I hate vim
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?action=unread;boards=2,3,4,5,67,6,7,8,9,10,11,66,12,13,15,14,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,86,87,89,1;ALL

dhunt

cause my dumpster computer instantly blue-screens with windows, and I know how to make arduino work fine with linux (its really not rocket surgery)

ps: I hate vim

lol - I hate emacs  :P.

Osgeld

I honestly dont write enough serious code to use a third of the features in either (and both are a freaking pain in the ass to operate), If I have an IDE I will use it, if I am in a xserver I typically just use gedit, if I am just in a console I use nano
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?action=unread;boards=2,3,4,5,67,6,7,8,9,10,11,66,12,13,15,14,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,86,87,89,1;ALL

KirAsh4

I just run my image and I have a complete new system in 10 mins. I cannot do that with Windows.  Just a great way to try new programs and do development.

Sure you can.  You just need the right tools to do that.  I have my Win7 system imaged onto a file server.  If something goes haywire, I just pull the image down and my system's back up within 10-15 minutes.  The biggest issue is keeping the image up to date.

NI$HANT

Depends  , what people like and want can do it!
"Real Men can Accomplish  Anything"

ਫ਼ਤੇਹ ਕਰੁਂ!

IngHooch

I use both Ubuntu and Win7 on my laptop, which one depends if the laptop is supplied by battery or no  :%
The brightest flame burns quickest

liudr

I use Windows. I don't like MAC machines. Why the high price tag for little shiny polished aluminum casing? I don't yet have Linux since I don't have a desktop. Too many moves and I sold all my post desktops. No space now to have a desktop. Otherwise I will have xp and some Linux dual boot. When you only have one machine, you don't want to install two systems to potentially mess up your only computer. But when you have more than two, you have trouble with sync.

retrolefty

The Arduino project being multi platform requires no justification for one's choice of OS. Kind of like freedom of religion. Live with it.  ;)

Go Up