Why don't people just use Windows?

I find Linux, OSX, and NetBSD all to be superior to windows for development. For the Arduino the IDE makes the experience the same, but I tend to use make files and the command line for my sketch development. I get to use a decent editor (vim) and the code, burn, test cycle is much faster.

cause my dumpster computer instantly blue-screens with windows, and I know how to make arduino work fine with linux (its really not rocket surgery)

ps: I hate vim

Osgeld:
cause my dumpster computer instantly blue-screens with windows, and I know how to make arduino work fine with linux (its really not rocket surgery)

ps: I hate vim

lol - I hate emacs :P.

I honestly dont write enough serious code to use a third of the features in either (and both are a freaking pain in the ass to operate), If I have an IDE I will use it, if I am in a xserver I typically just use gedit, if I am just in a console I use nano

etherbay:
I just run my image and I have a complete new system in 10 mins. I cannot do that with Windows. Just a great way to try new programs and do development.

Sure you can. You just need the right tools to do that. I have my Win7 system imaged onto a file server. If something goes haywire, I just pull the image down and my system's back up within 10-15 minutes. The biggest issue is keeping the image up to date.

Depends , what people like and want can do it!

I use both Ubuntu and Win7 on my laptop, which one depends if the laptop is supplied by battery or no :%

I use Windows. I don't like MAC machines. Why the high price tag for little shiny polished aluminum casing? I don't yet have Linux since I don't have a desktop. Too many moves and I sold all my post desktops. No space now to have a desktop. Otherwise I will have xp and some Linux dual boot. When you only have one machine, you don't want to install two systems to potentially mess up your only computer. But when you have more than two, you have trouble with sync.

The Arduino project being multi platform requires no justification for one's choice of OS. Kind of like freedom of religion. Live with it. :wink:

I've used GNU Linux exclusively on my home workstation for the last 10 years. Is there any difference between Arduino on Windows or Linux? Should be the same experience? I just feel more at home in a Linux environment.

its the same, though I like that it puts your sketchbook folder in your user's home folder instead of being semi buried

ultimatley the IDE is java, the rest is just a gcc toolchain behind the scenes

retrolefty:
The Arduino project being multi platform requires no justification for one's choice of OS. Kind of like freedom of religion. Live with it. :wink:

Not until some start to knock on your door and tell you that you should use their OS and what you are using is WRONG and you go to hell for not using the right OS. LOL

I use Windows XP primarily since it works well with most of the programs and hardware I want to use. I know my system could potentially be more vulnerable than others, but that hasn't been an issue for me since I keep it clean and protect it well. Unlike some of the other versions of Windows, XP is functionally usable and stable. 2000 was also pretty good. I've heard good things about 7, and it's what I set up on my wife's computer for her, but I don't like the layout of it as much (Yes, even after changing it. I prefer the "classic" 2000 layout, and don't use desktop icons, but instead us an HTML page I made with links that open up in Firefox. I use drop-up menus on the task bar for "My Programs" shortcuts, "My Computer," and the like. I rarely use the Start menu.), and there is simply no reason for me to use 7 over XP.

I'd like to get more into Linux for fun, and could likely find use from some of the open-source programs made for it. I've downloaded the full Debian package not too long ago, and played around with Gnome a little.

I'm personally not a fan of Apple products in general and find them to be less user-friendly. I build my own computers. And I avoid installing much of the useless bloatware.

I'm fine with anyone using any kind of system they want to use, and don't think I'm better than them because I prefer something else for my own reasons.

So to answer the question: It's simply that some people don't prefer to use Windows.

liudr:

retrolefty:

Not until some start to knock on your door and tell you that you should use their OS and what you are using is WRONG and you go to hell for not using the right OS. LOL

Thats why I use them all, most of my machines are dual boot linux / windows, I have a old power pc mac that tri boots OS9.22, OSX10.2 and debian. I can argue the pro's and cons of them all, but I am never stuck, though I may have to walk to the other room occasionally if I dont feel like droppng everything and rebooting

Osgeld:

liudr:

retrolefty:

Thats why I use them all, most of my machines are dual boot linux / windows, I have a old power pc mac that tri boots OS9.22, OSX10.2 and debian. I can argue the pro's and cons of them all, but I am never stuck, though I may have to walk to the other room occasionally if I dont feel like droppng everything and rebooting

Any advice on syncing your files on multiple machines/OS? I'm stuck with the old "copy-go-around" way. Need a new way to sync files.

yea, I have a nas and almost all my projects and tinkering stuff lives there (heck my current bench machine from the dumpster is nearly diskless, just a old 10 gig to boot from) and my other drives are shared as well ...

course on dual boot machines, linux has little issues with windows drives, and there is software for windows that will read linux (or mac) partitions

Is there any problems with this drive regarding editing text files on different systems? Specifically the new line problem? I don't have one. Any recommendations?

depends what you use, write something in notepad on windows and read it on a linux box the text will get double spaced due to windows using newline AND return, but on windows I use notepad++ and it knows better.

same thing the other way around, I write a text file on linux and look at it in notepad it looses all newlines cause its missing the return, but again notepad++ knows better (and its so much better overall anyway)

and you go to hell for not using the right OS

Close.
You ARE in hell if you use the wrong one!

anything that doesnt boot quick and get the hell out of the way falls into that category.

its amusing how far we have come, but yet how far off track we are. my 1986 MAC SE can go from a cold boot to excel before my quad core can even boot windows 7 (though try watching goofy youtube videos on it!)