Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Laptop - realistic and unrealistic suggestions on what to buy.  (Read 1843 times)
God Member
a, b = b, a+b
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

if i could compile c & java on my phone, I would be looking for a good bluetooth keyboard instead of a laptop.

actually I dream of having arduino run on my android device... but sadly... doesnt look like thats happening.

ਪੰਜਾਬ
Edison Member
Another year! Alone! :(
View Profile

tually I dream of having arduino run on my android device... but sadly... doesnt look like thats happening.

Actually have to make thing's happen they not happen by themselves so if you are look to load one i think the hardware of these days Android phone provide that too.

look at for example that much celebrated Rasp pi it has a 700Mhz clock and the processor is good to so runs a small linux distro on it much likey the Android phone like the one i have that runs on 1 Ghz must be able to load the linux sort of distro and then one can tweak the Arduino Library to somewhat extent as one has to do with Puppy Linux(i used to run puppy on my laptop before i got this new one as my old laptop just couldn't run anything more than Puppy.)

So in a nutshell this can happen but will take time investment and OVERCLOCKING and HEATING of one's BRAIN

"Real Men can Accomplish  Anything"
-  Website  

ਫ਼ਤੇਹ ਕਰੂਂ !

God Member
a, b = b, a+b
View Profile

dude.

a) just becouse the hardware that android runs on is strong enough to support compiling code does not mean that android as an operating system supports it.

b) my problem: broken laptop - solution: new laptop.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, but I think I'll pass.

ਪੰਜਾਬ
Edison Member
Another year! Alone! :(
View Profile

dude.

a) just becouse the hardware that android runs on is strong enough to support compiling code does not mean that android as an operating system supports it.

Yes it mean's it can be done, it mean's the possibility is there ,you have to modulate the IDE like one has to do for small distro's like Puppy.

just becouse the hardware that android runs on is strong enough to support compiling code

it mean's you have the power but not the software now that can be done , but for example if you do not have supported Hardware nothing can be done for instance take the Pyxis OS for Arduino ,it is there on Mega but you can't make it work on a UNO so Hardware is the very major thing here.

"Real Men can Accomplish  Anything"
-  Website  

ਫ਼ਤੇਹ ਕਰੂਂ !

God Member
a, b = b, a+b
View Profile

turns out I was completely wrong. I was under the impression, that android somehow does not support compiling native code. anyway - thats not true.

Rural Arizona
Edison Member
Incorrigible tinkerer
View Profile

Some factors for you to consider in making your decision.

Heat: one of the costs of making today's laptops and netbooks skinny and sleek is that there's no space inside for air circulation.  A few months ago, I bought a used HP G70, because it cost only a bit more than a comparable desktop. I planned to use it to replace my slowly-dying desktop PC, while also having something powerful and portable whenI have to do work on the client's site.

Well, spring has come, and the days are heating up in the desert. Yesterday, I came home from work to discover that the HP had shut itself down due to overheating.  This despite the fact that it sits on a wire shelf with free air circulation all around it.  So much for replacing my 24/7 desktop system...

Today's mania for ridiculous levels of speed and graphics power means that even slightly-slower used machines are often available dirt cheap.  If you're mostly going to be using Linux, that "ancient" XP machine can be a real speed demon for you. And you may find it improves your programming self-discipline if a recompile takes 5 seconds, instead of 3  ;-)

I've got a friend who does IT for a chain of car dealerships.  Nearly all their mechanics have company netbooks for interfacing to the diagnostic equipment and the company's management system.  He's settled on Dells, after trying several others, because the mechanics don't seem to break them as easily.  It's only one data point, but it's a pretty good one.

If you do go with a netbook, even though your vision is probably a lot better than mine, you'll probably find yourself wanting to hook it up to a monitor for long work sessions.  The HP Mini that I got almost free due to SSD problems (easily circumvented because Linux isn't stupid about managing bad areas) turned out to be not so much of a bargain: it uses a proprietary video cable that's been discontinued, and only available from people who scarfed up the last ones and are selling them for 4 or 5 times the original price. The bleeping cable costs almost as much as a used netbook :-(  And make sure that the netbook doesn't just give you a bigger 1024x600 display when hooked to a big monitor.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: