Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Tutorial for hacking a CP2102 USB from ebay and uploading a sketch to an Atmega  (Read 17337 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Thank you very much, you are really kind! it would take ages for me to draw all the connections...I do quite well for a beginner in the schematic editor, but in the board editor I get into trouble smiley..

Well I'd like it to be single sided (I think I've already mentioned that smiley-grin) and with a dip package atmega and other parts also normal size (let say 3mm leds) not smd size ..

And I'd like the optional parts also (I'm not sure about that pwr led, it just indicates the arduino is being powered right?) and do I need the reset switch, if I have autoreset? I'd like the layout for the programming pins to be as similar as they can be with the modified programmer we are talking about http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-UART-TTL-6PIN-Module-Serial-Converter-CP2102-/370532286388?pt=PCC_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item564571ffb4#ht_2817wt_1110 ...
I guess I want a female connector if cp2102 has male pins.
I don't need ICSP.

Thats about it I guess smiley

Also maybe I'd like a led on D13 so I can diagnose if the arduino is properly working with blink sketch (or which pin is it, I know I have a led that blinks on my nano if I upload the sketch on it, its permanently on the board).

Oh another thing, I'd like it to be drawn in Eagle smiley.

I have another question about the bootloader,..I shouldn't buy atmega with optiboot (or uno bootloader) right, but instead with duemilanove bootloader right?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 03:30:24 am by msev » Logged

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

Also maybe I'd like a led on D13 so I can diagnose if the arduino is properly working with blink sketch (or which pin is it, I know I have a led that blinks on my nano if I upload the sketch on it, its permanently on the board).

Physical chip pin 19 is the arduino digital pin 13. Just wire a resistor and led in series from that pin to ground, with the led cathode lead wired to ground. A 1K resistor is used in the standard arduino board.

Lefty

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Sure - which parts do you want to keep, and how do want the connector?

So you won't be designing it  smiley-cry smiley

Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

??

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Already designed - just needs a little tweaking.
Unfortunately only so many hours in a day, and I don't always get back to a thread I might be interested in (right away).

* sidemount_dip3.png (6.66 KB, 572x302 - viewed 85 times.)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 02:29:38 pm by CrossRoads » Logged

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

I assume you can handle naming of pins on the board if I post the files?

* sidemount_dip_no_reset_LED_sch.png (26.54 KB, 1198x605 - viewed 67 times.)

* sidemount_dip_no_reset_LED.png (59.16 KB, 809x426 - viewed 69 times.)

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Yep that won't be a problem...I see its double sided right?  smiley, I'll have to learn the correct technique to line all the lines right  smiley..
The board in your previous post isn't the same like in your last post right?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Yes, double sided.
I let eagle auto-route it. It does okay if you  have good parts placement to begin with.
The design is almost the same, added a couple of caps to the +5 line, diode in parallel with the reset pullup resistor, the 3mm LED and current limit resistor, and put all the pins in one row to be breadboard friendly (assuming one installs right angle male header there).

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Btw would you try and autoroute a single sided version too?

View Profile

Is anyone planning on sending this to a board house to have it fabricated? 

I like the breadboard friendly nature.  I currently use Nanos but I might like to try one of these boards.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Several folks have asked - here are the eagle files for the single-sided board I posted earlier.
Remember,  I had not updated all the pin numbers, that was "left as an excercise for the reader".

Others had asked about a single-sided version. I'll post one of those in the next message.

* sidemount_duemilanove_DIP_rev_noreset_switch.sch (912.62 KB - downloaded 32 times.)
* sidemount_duemilanove_DIP_rev_noreset_switch.brd (89.33 KB - downloaded 30 times.)

* sidemount_dip_no_reset_LED_sch.png (26.54 KB, 1198x605 - viewed 36 times.)

* sidemount_dip_no_reset_LED.png (59.16 KB, 809x426 - viewed 45 times.)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 06:41:37 pm by CrossRoads » Logged

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Single sided board. Haven't tried to make the pins all along 1 edge.

* mini-uino_DIP_single_sided.brd (21.46 KB - downloaded 18 times.)
* mini-uino_DIP_single_sided.sch (145.73 KB - downloaded 20 times.)

* DIP_single_sided.png (52.75 KB, 768x387 - viewed 57 times.)

Dallas, Texas
View Profile

I bought four of these a couple of months back at $2.84 delivered. They are still available. All have registered on the USB bus and two have been tested on all pins via volt meter (and an uno driving inputs) and python serial. So as far as I know, they are good-n-cheap. It has all of the signals broken out on three of the edges. I'm very happy with these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350499583299?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D350499583299%26_rdc%3D1

I soldered headers to one of them and will do the same with at least a second. I also straightened and shortened the 90-degree headers on the end which came with it. ts now ready to plug into a set of complimentary headers on the bottom of my my arduino project board.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 07:14:43 am by gerg » Logged

Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Got my two as well..

$2.95 shipped...

took a few weeks of course..

but came, and look fine.

work fine too (after you install drivers of course)..

I mo'd mine as well....

I cut off the last header.. and and attached 'two',, one in the same place.. and one that hangs over the side a bit.. then I jumpered this to the DTR pin.

I probably didnt need to keep the RESET pin..  but whatever..

tested and programmed a custom Arduino board with it.. for $3.00 I cant complain!

View Profile

Here is my hack for the CP2102.
1) Cut the reset trace.  This is the input to reset the CP2102.
2) Soldier a .1uF  cap from the DTR output to the Reset Pin

This now works great.

* CP2102.jpg (214.3 KB, 490x545 - viewed 411 times.)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Jump to: