Go Down

Topic: motorbike kill-switch (Read 949 times) previous topic - next topic

vwteo

Hello,
I want to implement an arduino with my motorbike, and one of the things i need to do whit it is to shut down the engine.

The bike has a kill-switch for shutting down the engine. The kill switch, when pushed connects one wire(coming from ecu) to bike ground.. I measured the voltage between this wire and ground, and it is up to 8V when the engine is in high rpm. I then used a ammeter to shorten the wire and ground with the engine almost at full rpm, and the current was 60mA, and the engine shut down of course..

So i need to build some kind of hardware to make this possible, i think that using a reley is not an option because i need to shut it very fast and precize, and this is a kind of dirt bike so there is a lot of vibrations and shocks, and i dont think that this is too good for a reley..

Is there any way to do this?

thanks for your time!

dxw00d

I really wouldn't do that. If there is already a switch there, leave it alone. Don't add complexity, and associated risk of failure, to an critical function.

vwteo

I don't want to remove the stock switch, just add a possibility to shut the engine with arduino too...

kf2qd

Apr 17, 2012, 06:33 pm Last Edit: Apr 17, 2012, 06:35 pm by kf2qd Reason: 1
Okay - Kill switch as wired is a safety, and it is not recommended to remove.

You could get a transistor and connect it to the kill switch and ground and see if that brings it low enough, or you could use a relay. If you want the relay to work as a failsafe then you want the Arduino to energize the relay for the bike to run. That would be using a set of NC or Normally-Closed contacts wired in parallel with the kill switch. If the relay is not energized the contacts are closed and the bike won't run.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy