Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Graphic equalizer IC "MSGEQ7"  (Read 1453 times)
cologne, germany
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi,
I have some questions regarding the graphic equalizer IC "MSGEQ7". I want to lead the output signal of an lm386 (connected to an electret-mic) to a MSGEQ7 and 'fetch' the band-peak-values via an ARDUINO and recalculate the 7 bands into two bands. I want to display the result via two LED lines driven by two TLC59116 (:=two band peak-meter).

My first question is:
In the datasheet (s. picture) of the MSGEQ7 pin 8 is connected via a 200k resistor with VDD (+5V). As I don't have a 200k resistor I would like to use 3 x 68k (=204k + tolerances). I guess that this is o.k. for a qualitative peak-meter!?

Second question:
There is a 22k resistor shown at pin 5 (audio in). I saw wiring schemes without this resistor. Do I need it?

Third question:
I assume that the IC with VDD=+5V needs an audio-signal with a center voltage of 2,5V (as generated from the lm386), right?

Fourth question:
I assume that the seven bands (63Hz, 160Hz, 400Hz, 1kHz,
2,5kHz, 6,25kHz und 16kHz) mean "0Hz-63Hz", "0Hz-160Hz", ... and not "0Hz-63Hz", "63Hz-160Hz", ..., right?

Thanks for the answers in advance!

* MSGEQ7.gif (31.37 KB, 725x556 - viewed 65 times.)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 03:24:55 am by Joegi » Logged

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

I assume that the seven bands (63Hz, 160Hz, 400Hz, 1kHz,
2,5kHz, 6,25kHz und 16kHz) mean "0Hz-63Hz", "0Hz-160Hz", ... and not "0Hz-63Hz", "63Hz-160Hz", ..., right?
No wrong on both counts it is a band centered on the frequency mentioned. It is only a low order filter so these bands might overlap for loud inputs.

I would like to use 3 x 68k (=204k + tolerances). I guess that this is o.k. for a qualitative peak-meter!?
That will be fine.

The resistor on the audio in is to stop the left and right channel shorting out. If you have a mono input you have no need for it.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 03:04:35 am by Grumpy_Mike » Logged

cologne, germany
View Profile

...but to build a two band peak-meter with one band going from (roughly) "0 to 1kHz" and the other going from "1kHz to 16kHz" I could use this formulas:
Band1: (peak_63Hz + peak_160Hz + peak_400Hz + peak_1kHz) / 4
Band2: (peak_2,5kHz + peak_6,25kHz + peak_16kHz) / 3

- right?

cologne, germany
View Profile

...o.k., the separation-frequency with the above formulas wouldn't be 1kHz, as the named frequencies are the center frequencies of the bands, but something between 1Khz and 2.5kHz!

Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

...but to build a two band peak-meter with one band going from (roughly) "0 to 1kHz" and the other going from "1kHz to 16kHz" I could use this formulas:
Band1: (peak_63Hz + peak_160Hz + peak_400Hz + peak_1kHz) / 4
Band2: (peak_2,5kHz + peak_6,25kHz + peak_16kHz) / 3

- right?

If that is what you want to do you are using the wrong chip, while this would give you something it would not have a very smooth frequency response, in other words there would be lots of pass band ripple. You would be better off just using a high order high pass and low pass filter.

cologne, germany
View Profile

Is there any IC that has a high order high- AND low pass filter with adjustable cut-off frequency?
Alternatively I could use a FFT, but on an Atmega this is too slow!(?)
But nevertheless, as the look, not the quantity, is most important, I will try the MSGEQ7 (maybe I will display more than two bands to get better results)!

cologne, germany
View Profile

What about the widths of the bands of the MSGEQ7. Are they all the same. That would result in little or no pass-band between 63Hz and 160Hz and much pass-band between 6.25kHz and 16kHz!?

cologne, germany
View Profile

Would the "max263" IC be a feasible solution for two band filtering? One could switch the cut-off frequency fast to get a two band filter out of a one band filter!?

cologne, germany
View Profile

...I read the first sentences of the max263's datasheet (at the moment I don't have time to read more) and there is written that the IC has two filter sections! Does that mean that I could use a low-Pass and a high-pass filter at the same time?

Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

Would the "max263" IC be a feasible solution for two band filtering? One could switch the cut-off frequency fast to get a two band filter out of a one band filter!?
It might be I have not used tat chip before. However the switch capacitor filtering chips I have used in the past have been a disappointment, with the switching noise getting into the pass band.
Yes it looks like you an have two filters at he same time.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: