Go Down

Topic: noob with roomba and arduino. optical sensor question (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

i'm sure this is a basic question but i just got my arduino.  i'm intrested in ultimately building a balancing line following robot.  i also have an old roomba i just tore apart for parts.  i see it uses a number of optical sensors.  my question is which led is which and how do if configure them with the arduino?  i understand one led is a emitter and one is a receiver and together they sense a change in reflectivity of a surface but how do i know which is which and how do i wire them to work with the arduino?

Thank You

Can you upload a picture of the sensor, or at least count the wires coming from it? I'm not familiar with the inside of a roomba.

I believe what you migth be looking at are the "cliff sensors".  They will detect if the floor from underneath the roomba vanishes - and thus it will stop to avoid driving down some stairs or over a big dropoff.

I don't know if you could utilize these sensors to follow  a line unless it was driving over a very "controlled" surface.  You probably would have the best chance at utilizing the sensors to do this by using alumium tape for the best reflectivity, and driving the roomba on a rug (very un-reflective).

The roomba itlsef is not very smart however, so you'd have to feed the sensor feedback into arduino, and maybe power the emitters with a lower voltage level.  I assume that since the leds are so close - they might be "saturating" the reciever no matter if the surface is dull / diffuse.

If you look at teh setup of the sensors, they are set at a specific angle - so really the sensors are more setup to work to complete a "light circuit" just based on geometry.  When there is no floor for the light to reflect on - the reciever will no longer pick up the reflected light - and detect the cliff.

Check this out / this will probably give you some info on it:

Hope this helps, and if you have any further questions about this, programming or electronics, ask away!

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131