Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Raising 0.95V to 12V?  (Read 774 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

What are you using as your ground when measuring the voltage coming from the switch? If a wire comes to the switch, another leaves the switch and goes to the bulb and the bulb is grounded then you should have 12V at the switch. If you don't have 12V at the switch then you need to check fuses and/or damaged wiring.

When you get an odd voltage reading on a device that was once working then you have something that failed and the best fix is to find out what failed and replace it. Not hook up some device you pulled out of your imagination to fix a problem you have not troubleshot.

The problem in this case is that for some reason you are not getting 12V to a device that should have 12V to work. The problem is not that you have .95V and you need it to be 12V.

I am using a voltmeter on the two connectors coming to the light bulb. I checked the fuses in the fuse box and they are all fine.

I am a total amateur at electronics and all things related. I have no education in the matter other than self taught.

Please factor this in

Greenville, IL
Edison Member
Warning Novice on board! 0 to 1 chance of errors!
View Profile

The biggest problem I would expect would be corrosion. Your trouble areas would be connectors and ground connections "straps with bolts to the body of the car or boot lid". The .95 volts sounds like a bad connection which can occur in switches, and fuses also.

There is probably a connector for the lid just inside of the main part of the car away from the moving body parts. It would be logical that they had to have a harness for the lid and a connector to add the lid later in the assembly of the car.

View Profile

I am using a voltmeter on the two connectors coming to the light bulb. I checked the fuses in the fuse box and they are all fine.

I wouldn't do this.  Leave the - lead on a good bare spot of metal on the vehicle and move the + lead.  Check that bare spot of metal by moving the + lead to the battery positive post, you should see ~12V if that's good ground.

You need to reference the V to ground and you don't know if the other lead in the lamp is a good ground, it could be corroded or the switch that supplies that ground could be bad.

View Profile

It turns out it was bad grounding. I fixed it and it seems to be fine for now. Thanks all!

I am a total amateur at electronics and all things related. I have no education in the matter other than self taught.

Please factor this in

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: