Go Down

Topic: Hybird bi-polar stepper motor (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

I'm hoping that someone here would be generous with their time and help me with my problem.

I am trying to operate a hybird bipolar stepper motor through a "motor sensor" connected to a Camera Axe.

This setup controls a normal bipolar stepper motor just fine but when I hook up a hybird one the motor buzzes and when I activate it the motor movements are erratic and jerks around in both directions. I have tried every possible arrangement of cable connection.

Is this board able to operate this type of motor? Do I have to modify the board?

Here are the schematics of the Camera Axe shield and motor sensor.

Here is the manual for the motor.

Thank you to anyone who can help me with this, I am very new to the arduino platform and stepper motors.

If I'm missing any info that can help you help me please ask and I will do whatever I can to provide the answers.

It's the correct type of motor. 2 possible problems -

You don't have the motor connected correctly to the driver. Check you wiring for loose connections.

You don't have the correct voltage/current or you need to have a longer acceleration time.

You are trying to move the motor too fast (can be a voltage or current problem)

Thank you for your reply!

I will test out the speed when I get home.

Would that also account for the loud buzzing when powered on? The buzzing goes away when the motor is activated.

I am using a 12v lithium battery to power the driver.

Changing the speed does not help. I've also hooked up 2 other hybird motors and they all behave the same. I have no idea what to try next.

Does anyone have any ideas for what else I can try or what the problem might be?

You say that you can get a regular bipolar (4 wires) working but not a hybrid bipolar ( 4 wires ) .

Hook up the regular one and get it working. Make a note of the wiring. Remove the wiring and measure the resistance with an ohmmeter between the wires. With a 4 wire stepper there are  2 sets of "coils" which will show some resistance between 2 wires which indicates a "coil".

Don't have an ohmmeter? Well you might be able to identify the "coil" by spinning the stepper by hand and touching 2 wires together. If you feel resistance then those 2 wires form a "coil".

Now identify the "coils" on your hybrid. Hook them up the same way as the regular one to the board.

Thank you for the tip, I will try that.

Go Up