Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Seeed studio TFT touch shield, what gives?  (Read 7125 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Still quite new to this, but I have had some success playing around with the arduino.
I have a couple of UNO's, an R3 and an R2, as well as a MEGA R3.

I walked into radio shack today and saw all kinds of new shields on the rack, as an impulse i bought a few of the cooler ones ( overpaid, i know  smiley-razz ).

One of them being the seeed studio TFT touch shield.

First sketch I tried loading was for the touch screen, right away i got an error message from the IDE ( 1.0 ) about non ASCII characters. So I went into the folder and replaced all the "-"s in the folder name with "_"s. This seemed quite strange to me, so my first question i guess is why would they name the files one is required to download such that arduino wont recognise them? is this a 1.0 issue?
I loaded the code to a UNO R2 board

Then I wanted to try the TFT examples, had to do the same re-naming, also had to load the
 https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit-GFX-Library
So, now the code compiles and loads just fine, but nothing happens. If I open up serial monitor,
I see the following;
Paint

unknown driver chip 202
Then Nothing happens on TFT
Now I have gone to the wiki page and tried to download the libraries that are labled for the 1.0 IDE, but they come up as corrupt. I am assuming that this TFT uses a driver chip that is not in the library that I have, but this just seems wierd to me, why sell a product at a national retail store and not provide the required library support for it. Am I missing something here?
Has anyone else gotten this shield to work with the UNO?

View Profile

I know this doesn't help too much, but I am new at this as well.

I bought this as well a couple weeks ago, it pretty much worked with all the examples for me.  On the wiki at seeedstudio, there is a reference to a changed chip, and the demo code THERE has a statement that doesnt work.  It's basically a "if it's using this chip, do this else do that"
The statement that checks for the new chip doesnt work at all, I removed all of it, basically leaving the contents of the "else" clause and that worked.

I did NOT have to do that with the included library examples however.

I wasn't able to get it to work on my MEGA, but I think my mega may be having issues as it isn't working with a couple other things.

The text output is sure primitive with it it seems, at least if you simply want to print down the screen.

View Profile

I have the same screen and it works on my uno and mega what you need to do is download the library:
http://seeedstudio.com/wiki/2.8%27%27_TFT_Touch_Shield#External_Links
by clicking on:TFT & TouchScreen Libraries for Arduino 1.0
then use the examples that come with the zip not the one on the wiki.

View Profile

If you need a simple GUI library for the v1 SeeedStudio 2.8" TFT Touch Screen check out this lib I just put up:

http://code.google.com/p/touch-screen-menu-library/

also you can see a little video of it at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOUUsHCkTHI&feature=youtu.be

Anaheim CA.
Faraday Member
View Profile

I've used several 3.2" GLCD displays from SainSmart  that are identical to the Itead 3.2" 320 X 240 65K color, touch and Sd card displays...
As much as I hate to give them money.
I also use the UTFT LIB from Henning Karlsen and I will be implementing 2 Mega's both with  the 3.2 320 X 240 display, Barometer, hygrometer and thermometer.
I will have a 3208 display connected by some inexpensive Bluetooth radios ($5.99 W the At command set).
This "Thing" will also have a radio (FM Stereo) and do basic X 10 control control... All for phase one.
My point is... (finally) that the display's are available form Amazon local (almost).I ordered 2 for $38 - 39.
They'll be here on Monday (2 day Prime shipping) and the warranty is "No Question" and Very Local... (Nevada or 1/2 day shipping time extra).
I had a bad one and withing 2 minutes of reporting a failure to Amazon they had issued an RMA I then printed the RMA and have it boxed for return.
Reasonably Nice compared to Ebay. Amazon Prime is Well Worth paying for.

Bob
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 02:55:00 am by Docedison » Logged

--> WA7EMS <--
“The solution of every problem is another problem.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

West Virginia
View Profile

IMPORTANT!
The library files from the seeedstudio site are .tar files that contain a .tar file.

Windows downloads them as .zip which is why you get the corrupt archive messages.  If you rename the .zip file to .tar and extract, you will get a file without an extension.  Just add .tar to the end of the extracted file.  Extract the contents of the second .tar file and you will have the libraries.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: