Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Ping and oblique angles  (Read 458 times)
St Petersburg, FL
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'm sure this is not a new issue.  My robot uses a ping to look for obstacles and then when found, it stops sweeps 180 degrees (10 segments) looking for a clear path.   I am having a problem with surfaces at oblique angles to the ping in that it can't correctly determine the distance.  I am pretty sure that I would have s the same issue with the Sony IR sensor, but not sure.  Has anyone run into a solution for this problem?  The sensor works perfectly in every other way.

Charlie

Charlie R Chisholm

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

Not sure what I could have done to avoid that but just trying to come up with something here: will putting a vertical scan motor help?

St Petersburg, FL
View Profile

will putting a vertical scan motor help

I'm afraid I don't understand.   What do you mean by vertical scan motor?  I am open to any suggestion.

Charlie R Chisholm

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

Just my thought: Scan horizontally and find an obstacle, then scan vertically to see if the obstacle is changing slightly (can't pass) or rapidly disappears (ramp). You need a motor to scan up and down.

St Petersburg, FL
View Profile

Not real sure how that would help.  If the problem is that the ping is bouncing off in another direction like light in a mirror, then it seems that it would do that even if I scanned up and down.  I will have to think about that some more.   

Thank you for your suggestion, none the less.   Anything that causes to me to think from another angle is a good suggestion.

Charlie R Chisholm

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: