Go Down

Topic: [SOLVED] warnings of Serial.println(F("Hi there")); (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

optimistx

Apr 20, 2012, 09:31 am Last Edit: Apr 21, 2012, 10:28 pm by optimistx Reason: 1
To save RAM I put message texts to flash memory e.g. by using the F()-function. It works well. Thanks to developers!

Anyhow, the compiler gives a red warning to verbose output list at every invocation of F():
" warning: only initialized variables can be placed into program memory area".

It makes tedious to find other potentilly useful warnings among those over 100 F() -related messages in my program. (red and white distinction is otherwise a very good idea).

There has been discussions about this at least some months ago e.g. in avg-freaks forum, without  having any easy
solution to suppress this warning message but no others.

Have you now a solution for this?

Coding Badly

http://old.nabble.com/C%2B%2B-with-PSTR-td26664456.html

Locate and open WString.h

Above these two lines...
Code: [Select]
class __FlashStringHelper;
#define F(string_literal) (reinterpret_cast<__FlashStringHelper *>(PSTR(string_literal)))

Insert this...
#undef PROGMEM
#define PROGMEM __attribute__(( section(".progmem.data") ))

No guarantees from the management.   ;)

optimistx

Apr 20, 2012, 12:05 pm Last Edit: Apr 21, 2012, 10:26 pm by optimistx Reason: 1

Insert this...
#undef PROGMEM

No guarantees from the management.   ;)

Thank you very much!
The change helped, and it was easy to spot 3 other red warnings. Now everything is snowwhite. You made my day :)

By the way, I had earlier added the word "const" to the definition of __FlashStringHelper. I do not remember the reason why :(. So now those statements are like this:
#undef PROGMEM
class __FlashStringHelper;
#define F(string_literal) (reinterpret_cast<const __FlashStringHelper *>(PSTR(string_literal)))

Go Up