Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: detect 240v or Hall sensor or light sensor?  (Read 640 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

hi,

I would like to monitor which lights are on in my house - I have 4 din rail mounted modules with 12 relay based switches each in an electric cabinet. I also have a module that controls dimmable lights with a 0-10v signal. There the answer is easy - voltage dividers will send 0 to 5v to analog input and I will know which lights are on and how much.

I thought I had three options:

- 240v relay in parallel to the output - but at 9 eur a piece x approx 50 not preferred (and taking up lots of space in the cabinet)
- each output lights a red/orange led on the module when active - so a light sensor would be something but they seem to be analog mostly
- Hall sensor attached to the live 240v wire but will it trigger?

Suggestions for cost-effective and not too ugly implementation welcome...

The other bits and pieces I already have. There is an infra red receiver included in the system so I have built an arduino box that listens to http requests and sends an IR signal which puts the lights on. It only when you push a light switch manually that the system doesn't know hence the need for a feedback project.

many thanks!
Jhh

Brisbane, Australia
Edison Member
View Profile

Hi

- each output lights a red/orange led on the module when active - so a light sensor would be something but they seem to be analog mostly
Would it be possible to solder on a line to sense when voltage is present on each of those LEDs?  That would be the cheapest option I can think of presuming there's a LED for every output you're wanting to detect activity on.

Geoff

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse"
- retired astronaut Chris Hadfield

SW Scotland
Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Train inhabitants to turn light off when not in use - cheap, safe and ups your claim to be the alpha dog

View Profile

Would it be possible to solder on a line to sense when voltage is present on each of those LEDs?  That would be the cheapest option I can think of presuming there's a LED for every output you're wanting to detect activity on.

I opened one of the modules and the LEDs are tiny surface mounted thingies - I could solder one off and create a short circuit but that's about it. It would have been an efficient option though but the modules are too expensive to go for this one.

Thanks!
jhh

View Profile

Train inhabitants to turn light off when not in use - cheap, safe and ups your claim to be the alpha dog

That part is already done - smiley-wink  the only thing is that I and my fancy home control software both look rather silly as we think the light is still on if someone uses the wall switches instead of the software or tablet...so I need to get feedback in the system. 

Jhh

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: