Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: What hardware can drive one long row of 100 LEDs  (Read 2044 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

You're right. The spacing would be a little tricky to work out. The spacing won't be even due the the fact that the center of the black keys are right between the white keys. Printing examples on paper is a great technique though. Instead of trying to do the math, I would just keep increasing/decreasing the spacing until it fit. The goal is to have each LED centered on each key. I would do it in octaves though. From c to b. You don't need to use the 3mm LEDs. You can use the really tinny ones if that is cheaper.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 10:21:21 pm by David82 » Logged

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

The spacing is not difficult, just some math, resulting in this.
I just printed, will cut & try again.
I have wife's piano, and also an Fatar SL-990 electronic keyboard to try the spacing on.

Rats - still a little off, on the high side this time.

* piano_lights_PCB_to_cut_up.png (54.54 KB, 1285x676 - viewed 9 times.)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 10:39:44 pm by CrossRoads » Logged

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I see you're starting on G# for some reason. In my particular case, the piano starts off with A and the highest note is C. Since it is clear that not all pianos start off with the same note, it may be best to just stick to the conventional c through b and just make one more octave than the paino would typically have. That would be used to cover any variation in starting and ending keys.

EDIT: doing a little more research, the lowest note on an 88-key piano seems to always be A0 while the highest note seems to always be C8.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

I had it starting on G# and leaving it off the left most board, made sense when I started; spacing wise I think I have a better handle on it now.

* piano_lights_PCB_to_cut_up.png (54.29 KB, 1426x677 - viewed 8 times.)

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Ok. I guess next step would be to get a prototype printed, populate it, see if everything works on a basic electronic level and then see if it can be interfaced with via PC.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I'm ready when you are with anything you need to get this moving along.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Jump to: