Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Need Help with LED Binary Counter  (Read 1849 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

does the sketch need to be modified at all each time I add an LED?

Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
CODE is a mass noun and should not be used in the plural or with an indefinite article.
View Profile

does the sketch need to be modified at all each time I add an LED?

Nope, it's blinking them all simultaneously, plus the onboard LED. The intent is just to ramp up the load slowly and see what happens.

James' suggestion is a good one, have you tried the LEDs just alone?

MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

View Profile

James, I hooked it up to the 5v out and the ground (with the resistor & LED in the circuit) and it's not illuminating the LED at all.

View Profile

Jack, it appears to behave exactly as you said it would.  started with them all unplugged and added em all one by one and they're all blinking in unison

Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
CODE is a mass noun and should not be used in the plural or with an indefinite article.
View Profile

Don't understand why one wouldn't illuminate directly off the power supply. Wasn't wired backwards by any chance?

Well if they're all blinking in unison, then don't touch anything smiley-wink just reload the original sketch!

We await with bated breath...

MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

View Profile

ARGG!!!!  No joy.  not illuminating the multiple bits in unison

Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

So like the video in your original post?

View Profile

exactly

Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

And wiring one as shown below does not illuminate it?

* led.png (0.54 KB, 91x306 - viewed 5 times.)

Austin, TX
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

James, I hooked it up to the 5v out and the ground (with the resistor & LED in the circuit) and it's not illuminating the LED at all.
Then you didn't wire something correctly.  This VERY simple test should light the LED.  

Two things to try:

1.  Go back to my 5V/Resistor/LED/GND circuit.  If you can't make one LED directly powered light up, there is a significant problem.  Either the LED is backwards or you some bad wires.

2.  Jack's simple sketch but, again, increase the delay from 1000 to 5000.  Observe the difference.

Where did you buy the LEDs?  Do you have a link?

Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

View Profile

Jack, I wired it up again for the GND to 5V just to double check and I may have accidentally slipped the wrong pin for the 5v the first time.  The LED illuminates but it blinks.

Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

Ha! You do have those LEDs with built-in blinker circuits! You need some plain ones!

View Profile

Holy crap.  I thought you were joking when you said with built in blinker circuits.  I've been using LED's for years and I had no idea that such a thing existed, but taking a look back at the package, it sure does.

I like it when things turn out to be that simple.

Thanks for all the help guys!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

Baha! Oh yes they do exist. And man, will they mess with your mind!

Good evening, gents!

Austin, TX
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

I've been using LED's for years and I had no idea that such a thing existed, but taking a look back at the package, it sure does.

Carefully examine the base of the LED and you'll see there is a small component inside, to help it blink.  Once you've done that, throw them away! Otherwise, it'll bite you again.  smiley-wink

Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Jump to: