Go Down

Topic: What chips to use????? (Read 594 times) previous topic - next topic

Davheili

Greetings from an Arduino Newbie.  I've got tons of programming experience but zero in electronics.  So I'm lost when it comes to finding a chip that does what I want.  For example, It took quite a while before I found 74HC595 as a shift out register.  But how would I find one that supported PWM on all 8 bts, or maybe I wanted a 16 bit version.  What about Shiftin registers  I found 74HC165 and CD4021BE.  But I've got no clue why I'd pick one over the other.  And the datasheets are mostly greek to me. 

Is there some secret cross reference that I can enter search criteria and it tells me whats available? 

Thanks.

Grumpy_Mike

Yes it is called google.
Alternatively you can search the site of distributers like Mouser or Farnell or Digikey for specific things.

One point however you must learn how to read a data sheet or else you are dependant on others to interprate it for you and not everyone makes a good job of that.

Sev

One reference you can check out is Adafruit's parts wiki.  Also, there are PDFs of reference books online covering the 74x logic series -- I know that TI's got one on their site.

Davheili

Thanks Sev, that was what I was looking for.  I didn'tafruit had a full 74 series xref.  I`ll need to check it out.

Grumpy Mike, believe me when i say Google is my best friend.  But not knowing what to lookup is where the problem is.  You know what they say, you never know what you don't know.

iyahdub

difference between them is that the 7000 series is designed for high frequency operation and the 4000 for more analogue ones.
Example- the two you mentioned: the 7xxx goes up to 55mhz while the 4021 up to 12mhz.
Apart from that, they pretty much do the same
10 LET Loop=Infinite
20 GO TO 10

iyahdub

And i bet Grumpy_Mike will agree with me when i advise you to learn the basics of reading datasheets...might seem scary, but it aint. Start with the things you really need, and slowly grow from there !!
Plus will save u lots of hassle and hours, not only in the short but specially in the long term.
10 LET Loop=Infinite
20 GO TO 10

Grumpy_Mike

Yes I do.  :)

The thing to remember about a data sheet is that you don't need to read it all or even understand it all.
It's a bit like a newspaper, you only read the bits you want to know about.
The front page is normally the edited highlights and is a good place to start.

DuaneB

Its a fair comment from the OP though, until you know there are 'decade counters', 'quad op amps', 'darlington drivers', 'dual timers' etc etc etc it really is very hard to know whats out there or where to start.

I guess the best option is to start from the project you want to build and work back from there learning what you need on the way.

Duane B

rcarduino.blogspot.com

iyahdub

i have heard learning electronics alone, like educating kids: Not only HOW, but also WHY... And in that sense datasheets are invaluable.
10 LET Loop=Infinite
20 GO TO 10

Go Up