Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Reliable One-Wire for Long distances  (Read 1433 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

We are presently successfully doing this on Cat5 to 800m. Wire resistance is not a problem (we use only one wire per signal), and of course we use a separate power line but use the Arduino 5V rather than a separate PSU. We use the Embedded Data Systems RS485 to One-wire converter, but only because their One-wire drive circuit is so good. We had planned on using RS485 to cover the long distances, but it turned out we didn't need to, as the One-wire works fine at 800m. I don't know if anyone out there has run One-wire this far before, but we have done it multiple times without issue. Wireless is not an option for us. Unfortunately, the EDS board is no longer available, so eventually I am going to have to build my own drive circuit.

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Faraday Member
I learn a bit every time I visit the forum.
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Not 1 wire but a good answer to RS232 limits is RS485. --- note that Dino got in while I was typing this.... 800m! Wow!

I have no part in this store except I've bought from there twice with no problems:
http://yourduino.com/sunshop2/index.php?l=product_detail&p=317

MAX485 RS485 Transceiver (Pkg of 10)
SKU: EC-110418
Your Price:    $2.00
Stock:    401

The shipping is not cheap **compared to the knock-down chip prices** so I end up picking up extra chips usually 5 for 75 cents to a buck and a half. If you do order there, spend some time browsing the stock and bargain bins as it were. You might get ideas.

Another thought that might help or not is that if you're using CAT 5 then you have 4 pairs that could run 4 1-wire buses. With many devices adding to the 'weight', wouldn't distributing them be one way to increase the working length?

I find it harder to express logic in English than in Code.
Sometimes an example says more than many times as many words.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: