Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: PWM with high power LEDs  (Read 966 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi!!

I want to make something like a mood light lamp. And I want to make it so it lights up a whole room, so I will use some high power LEDs.
They need some high power drivers in order to work.

This mood light lamp will have some features, like smoothly change its colors automatically, or change the colors according to the ambient sound (so it changes according to the music a microphone gets), or maybe even according to some inputs (maybe buttons, maybe adjustable resistors.

I will be using an arduino to control it all.

Now, my question is, how can I drive the amount of light the high power LEDs will emit? I guess I could use arduinos PWM, but, how do I do to connect the arduino PWM output to the high power driver. Do I need a special type of driver?
I will be using RGB high power LEDs, but can someone tell me what driver could I use in order to control it from the arduino PWM?

I have been researching in google but I do not get anything clear.

Thanks in advance!!

Denmark
Edison Member
Happy Hobbyist
View Profile

Take a look at this thread

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,102101.0.html

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Thanks!!

But would that be fast enough to fade or dimm the LED without flickering using arduino PWM?

Regards

Dubuque, Iowa, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

But would that be fast enough to fade or dimm the LED without flickering using arduino PWM?

Yes. The PWM runs at 490Hz.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Ok!! Thanks!!

I thought it would not work properly that way, I am buying and preparing a prototype in a breadboard as soon as I can

Cheers!!

View Profile

There are also a bunch of LED drivers out there that will do the job as well. I am using 3 CAT4101 in a current project to control a RGB LED at 350ma per color. The nice thing about the CAT4101 is it only requires a single low power resistor to set the current limit. So the component count is low. You can even get samples cheap directly from OnSemi.

View Profile

If you're inclined to spend about $41.50 on a high power LED shield then here is a perfectly functioning solution with enough potential to even light a very large room.

http://neuroelec.com/hp-rgb-led-shield-2/

Comes with a very nice Arduino library as well!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: