Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Making a Hardware Profile for Arduino  (Read 931 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Can someone point me in the right direction to the instructions on how to create a new hardware profile for the Arduino IDE?

I made my own hardware with an Atmel168 but I used a different pin out and I'd like to be able to give the user the choice to select my hardware profile from the IDE.

I have also written a boot loader that also is unique for this hardware.  I'd like to integrate that into the menu of the IDE as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Boston, MA
Batteries? We don't need no steenking batteries!
View Profile

I went through this process recently for my own custom Arduino-based board, and similarly couldn't find much real documentation on the subject. If all you are changing is DIGITAL pin numbers and bootloader stuff, there are only a couple files to modify. If you need to change other things for your board, like the CPU speed (other than a couple Arduino 'standards' e.g. 8, 16 or 20MHz) or analog pin numbers, it's a bit more work.

This page has an overview of the process, but it's a bit out of date.

For a basic variant, make a copy of the Arduino core folder (installed in a subfolder where your Arduino IDE is located e.g. arduino_IDE_folder\hardware\arduino), rename the folder to the name of your project, and move it to the 'Hardware' directory inside your personal Sketch folder (for Windows, this is usually something like C:\Documents and settings\yourname\My Documents\Arduino\hardware or C:\Users\yourname\Documents\Arduino\hardware) . Note, it is also possible to patch your board directly into the copy where the Arduino IDE is located, but there it risks being overwritten when a new IDE/core version is installed.

Go to your renamed copy. Inside here are two text files, "boards.txt" and "programmers.txt", and a handful of subfolders containing the core itself, bootloader files and pin mappings. MOST of the changes you need are in boards.txt. It contains a bunch of lines like:

Code:
someboard.name = Arduino Someboard w/ ATMega 168
someboard.someparameter = ...

Follow the instructions of the link above to change these as needed, e.g. with the correct name/baudrate/programmer for your bootloader, CPU speed, etc. As of 1.0, board-specific pin map data is stored in the 'variants' subfolder; in the example above the 'someboard' board would have its pin map in \variants\someboard\pins_arduino.h. Modify the pin mappings as needed for your board. Modify/replace the contents of the 'bootloaders' folder with your own bootloader files.

Assuming all went well ,when you close and re-open the Arduino IDE, your newly defined board should be listed.

If your board's differences go beyond digital pin mappings...
When doing this for my project, I wrote up a wiki page showing the locations of board-specific settings that I've found so far in the 1.0 and pre-1.0 cores. MOST of the changes will be centered in pins_arduino.h, but there are a few things like hard-coded CPU speeds (for e.g. delayMicroseconds()) and analog pin numbers scattered around the core.

Atlanta, USA
Edison Member
AKA: Ray Burne
View Profile

You may also wish to review the configuration files (zip'd):
http://hlt.media.mit.edu/?p=1229

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: