Go Down

Topic: LCD pin connection (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

floresta

The operating thought here is not likely... rephrased... Wanna Bet? If you don't touch it you didn't break it maybe. It has been my experience for far longer than I like to think that the less handling of any item the less chance for an inadvertent 'something' to happen.

So are you saying that if you have a circuit that is working but is not configured optimally that you shouldn't reconfigure it because you might break it?

Electronically I am Very conservative and in my old age ...

There's a very good chance that my old age is at least as old as yours yet I don't hesitate to swap out parts in my breadboard, even though I need one of those headband magnifiers to do so.

Don

Docedison

My thought were based on the distinct possibility that he had neither our headband eyes or our skill set... I was also of the thought that the difference in current was more statistics than substance and I expressed that opinion. Do remember that it was only my opinion... for 500 uA?

Doc

--> WA7EMS <--
"The solution of every problem is another problem." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

floresta

Do remember that it was only my opinion... for 500 uA?

Yes, but does your opinion change when you realize that the LCD controller itself typically draws only 1.5 mA?

Don

Docedison

No as the original thread was about connecting the display, not about low power uses/issues... (like help this lcd is killing my power supply) and it works well with 470R as a pot value, draws 10 ma but  was a line operated serial terminal I made in the late 90's for a project I was developing. The only valid reason to save 500 uA would be IMO for a battery/solar project, so my bad advice about 'leave it alone... it's working' might well make his project fail... of course he might provide LCD power through a Pin from the Uno... Not the backlight though... all of it could be switched on at a button press or data change (with a mosfet) and drop the power consumption to ZERO except when it is needed, this would IMO and experience be a good thing to do... I did it on several of my commercial battery powered Soil Moisture and Soil Conductivity meters I designed in the early '00s - 06 -07 I think. It is IMO not very applicable at the stage where this thing started as the point was to get it working... not to save power. Finding "errors" in my thinking has little to do with fixing the basic issue and only provides distraction from the main thread. Since this issue has 'little' to do with the REAL ISSUE... it should have been moved IMO to a private message... IMO rather than what it appears to be... Entertainment for those that choose to read this thread... Thus the reason that I mentioned the power led on the main board and it's "GASP" 3400 uA power consumption which is 6.8 times as much. What I really think is that there was little thought applied to the responses and a great deal about essentially IMO NOTHING. Pleasse remember ALL I offered was MY OPINION and your response was most correct but off topic as the discussion was about a NOOB trying to get something to light up (work) and NOT about "Saving Power"... IMO

Docedison
(AKA Robert K. Johnson Sr.)... IMO
--> WA7EMS <--
"The solution of every problem is another problem." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

Go Up