Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: new to arduino. sound-led question  (Read 623 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

i'm looking for a project of sound reactive leds. with the arduino will the leds react to sound without an audio source like the tip31 projects? is this correct? will they react to sound from like any speakers or sound system? thanks

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

React to overall volume level, like indicating the peak levels of the sound? Or react to specific frequency range? Both can and have been done.

I think in either case you need some external components to move the sound from +/- 1V kind of levels from a line level output oper perhaps a microphone output, to 2.5VDC +/-2.5V (or, 0-5V) for processing by the arduino ADC. This can be an opamp, and some resistors and capacitors.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

View Profile

Maybe something like the MSGEQ7 would be up your alley...

http://skoba.no-ip.org/msgeq7/

I am using blinkM style LED's chained together off of a setup with this chip as a graphic EQ, and it works great!  Depending on the type of RGB LED you go with, it may be worth taking a look at the fastSPI library.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 08:21:23 am by dfigravity » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: