Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino Uno Powering  (Read 527 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello,

I am fairly new to the Arduino and am looking for the best way to power my project. I am working on an RFID ignition switch for a scooter. Here is a link to the battery they run off of:

http://www.amazon.com/YTZ7S-AGM-Maintenance-Free-Battery/dp/B0038MI338/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1335307216&sr=1-2

It is a 12v battery. The scooters do have a charging system as well. The only accessories that really exist are headlights, horn, turn signals and brake lights. I was contemplating just connecting it straight to the battery but fear that is not the safest bet. I was thinking of using the regulator circuit outlined here:

http://www.eidusa.com/Electronics_Voltage_Regulator.htm

I have a 7805CT lying around that I could use in my prototype. What would be the best course of action? Am I safe to just use the 12v power from the battery or should I incorporate a regulator?

Thanks in advance.

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

What are you plugging in? An Arduino board? That already has the regulator on it. Perhaps describe your exact hardware.

View Profile

I will be plugging in the Arduino Uno (As it says in the topic). I am aware that it already has a regulator, but should I be worrying about how clean the power is going to the board? In addition I will also be using an RFID reader (ID-12) plugged into the Uno. Here is a link to the RFID reader:

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8419

When a fob is scanned and passed it will switch on the 12v ignition to the scooter (either using a transistor circuit or a relay). In addition I was going to offer a couple of "Accessory" outputs. The outputs would just switch the 12v on to an output for an accessory.

Hope that answers your questions.

Edison Member
View Profile

I am aware that it already has a regulator, but should I be worrying about how clean the power is going to the board?
With 12V going-in and the Arduino only needing 5V, you are giving the regulator plenty of "room to work" and the voltage regulator should hold the voltage steady.   So, the on-board regulator should be fine.   If there's any noise or glitches getting through, a 2nd or different regulator is unlikely to help.   

If you do run into problems, such as the voltage dropping too-low for a moment when you hit the starter, or when you first turn-on the headlight, etc., you can try adding a diode and capacitor (maybe 1000uF or so) to the 12V input.   This makes sort-of a "one-way" filter... It won't do much for positive spikes on the power-supply line (the regulator should take care of that), but if there is a negative-spike where the voltage momentarily drops below 5 or 6 volts, the capacitor will hold-up the voltage (hopefully long-enough) and the diode makes sure all of the energy stored in the capacitor goes to the Arduino, by  prevening the capacitor from quickly-discharging into the overall electrical system, and "trying" to power everything else on the scooter.

And actually... as long as the thing resets properly when the voltage drops-out, and it doesn't shut-down the scooter when there is an unexpected reset, it's probably not too critical .

View Profile

I am aware that it already has a regulator, but should I be worrying about how clean the power is going to the board?
With 12V going-in and the Arduino only needing 5V, you are giving the regulator plenty of "room to work" and the voltage regulator should hold the voltage steady.   So, the on-board regulator should be fine.   If there's any noise or glitches getting through, a 2nd or different regulator is unlikely to help.   

If you do run into problems, such as the voltage dropping too-low for a moment when you hit the starter, or when you first turn-on the headlight, etc., you can try adding a diode and capacitor (maybe 1000uF or so) to the 12V input.   This makes sort-of a "one-way" filter... It won't do much for positive spikes on the power-supply line (the regulator should take care of that), but if there is a negative-spike where the voltage momentarily drops below 5 or 6 volts, the capacitor will hold-up the voltage (hopefully long-enough) and the diode makes sure all of the energy stored in the capacitor goes to the Arduino, by  prevening the capacitor from quickly-discharging into the overall electrical system, and "trying" to power everything else on the scooter.

And actually... as long as the thing resets properly when the voltage drops-out, and it doesn't shut-down the scooter when there is an unexpected reset, it's probably not too critical .

Perfect.. That is exactly what I was looking for.. Thanks for a great reply. I never thought about the power cut out when trying to start. That is something I will need to test thoroughly as it could potentially shut off the ignition while trying to start.

Thanks again for the help.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: