Go Down

Topic: PWM inputs from Rx for Atmega 328 (Read 611 times) previous topic - next topic

barchiola

good evening everyone

I've spent a few hours researching the Arduino programming language and I'm beginning to get a handle on it however I'm a bit stumped on a basic input concept.  I'm attempting to use an Atmega 328 based board to sense switch positions from an RC Tx (via the Rx/channel outputs) so as to control the illumination patterns of LED lights.  Ideally I'd like to have two PWM inputs (two channels from the Rx into the 328) controlling up to four strings of LED's.  I'm using a jdrones ioBoard for the project.

My basic question is do I have to utilize a routine like ServoDriver2 to have the 328 be able to interpret the PWM signal from the Rx?  The thread I've found on ServoDriver2 is from 2008, does that matter? 

The condition will a simple test of three possible values (low, middle, high) to correspond to a three position switch.  I understand the concept of calculating the pulse width using start and end times but am i at least looking in the right place to get this sketch started?

thanks much, looking forward to your responses.

Bart

retrolefty

Well in context of the arduino world, PWM means outputs from the board. As you are trying to read the value of a PWM signal(s) from a R/C receiver you are needing an input function to calculate the value of the two receiver servo channels.

There are 3rd party library codes around designed to do this for you, but assuming you might want to give it a shot on your own you could simply wire the two receiver servo channels you are interested in to two arduino digital input pins and then use the PulseIn() command to read the pulse width of each pin.

http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/PulseIn

Lefty

barchiola

lefty,
thanks for the quick reply.  i've been going through the reference library all morning and haven't gotten to that folder but at first glance it looks like it will be good enough for me to measure the pulse width so as to use it in the control process of the LED outputs.

I appreciate the help.
Bart

retrolefty

lefty,
thanks for the quick reply.  i've been going through the reference library all morning and haven't gotten to that folder but at first glance it looks like it will be good enough for me to measure the pulse width so as to use it in the control process of the LED outputs.

I appreciate the help.
Bart

Your welcome and be sure to share your results when you get it all working as you wish, that is the "Arduino way".  ;)

Lefty

barchiola

Mar 27, 2013, 02:10 am Last Edit: Mar 27, 2013, 02:33 am by barchiola Reason: 1
Here's where it's at.  When compiling it's getting hung up a the pulseIn command, go figure.

/*
LED control using jDrones ioBoard and inputs from
RC receiver (PWM)
PWM signal pulses are measured using 'PulseIn' statement
Conditional statement looks at Pulse value and determines
illumination pattern of LED outputs
illumination to be alternating left/right indicates manual control
kinda-sorta heartbeat indicates GPS position hold
rapid flashing indicates come-home mode active

Created 26 March, 2012
By Bart Cocchiola with help from the Arduino community. :)

*/

void setup() {
 // pin numbers for inputs and outputs
 int rxgpsmode = 12;     // digital input pin using GPS mode channel from Rx
 int ledPin1 = 02;       // pin for left LED output, PWM enabled
 int ledPin2 = 03;       // pin for right LED output, PWM enabled
 unsigned int duration;
 int ledCounter;     // counter variable used to loop LED patterns
 int ledBrightness;  // brightness variable for heartbeat pattern
 int fadeAmount = 25;    // factor used to build light intensity in Heartbeat pattern
 pinMode(rxgpsmode, INPUT);  // initialize Rx connection pin as in INPUT
 pinMode(ledPin1, OUTPUT);   // initialize the LED pins as outputs
 pinMode(ledPin2, OUTPUT);
}

void loop()
{
 duration = pulseIn(rxgpsmode, HIGH)    // read the value of the incoming pulse length

if (duration < 100){
 // alternating arms flash slowly----->GPS off
 digitalWrite(ledpin1, HIGH);   // turn the ledpin1 ON (HIGH is the voltage level)
 delay(1000);                   // wait for a second
 digitalWrite(ledpin1, LOW);    // turn the ledpin1 OFF by making the voltage LOW
 delay(100);                    // brief delay, to make blinking appear uniform throughout subroutine
 digitalWrite(ledpin2, HIGH);   // turn ledpin2 ON
 delay(1000);                   // wait for a second
 digitalWrite(ledpin2, LOW);    // turn ledpin2 OFF
}

else if (duration > 1200)

{
 // LEDs flash quickly three times then exit loop to recheck conditional
 // GPS come home mode active
 //
 for (int ledcounter = 0; ledCounter < 3; ledCounter = ledCounter +1) {
 ledpin2 = ledpin1;             // ledpin2 set equal to ledpin1 to coordinate illumination pattern
 digitalWrite(ledpin1, HIGH);   // both LED pins turn on
 delay(300);                    // wait 1/3 second
 digitalWrite(ledpin1, LOW);    // both LED pins turn off
 delay(100);                    // wait 1/3 second          
}
}

else

{
 // heartbeat pattern, GPS PH active
 ledpin2 == ledpin1;
 for (int ledBrightness = 0; ledBrightness <= 250; ledBrightness = ledBrightness + fadeAmount) {
 analogWrite(ledpin1, ledBRightness);
}
 analogWrite(ledpin1, 250);
 delay(250);
 digitalWrite(ledpin1, LOW);
 delay(250);
 digitalWrite(ledpin1, HIGH);
 delay(500);
 digitalwrite(ledpin1, LOW);
}

Go Up