Go Down

Topic: 2 metre range sensor question (Read 702 times) previous topic - next topic

quick question - was wondering if anyone had much experience getting a good infra red signal working over a 2 metre range... need to build a circuit using ideally an infra-red emitter and receiver that can work across a 2 metre range and give an interrupt every time the beam is broken, i have done this kind of project before but never across such a long distance and am having problems getting a consistent result. I have played with the sonar sensors which work well across this range but annoyingly enough i need to retrofit this into a door frame which has a pair of  2 core cable running to either side, so need to use some kind of transmitter / receiver setup which only uses 2 wires for each one. any ideas?

thanks in advance

I would use a modulated IR beam and a reflector on the other side of the door. A TSOP4038 is the right sort of sensor for that.

hey mike

thanks for your reply - sensor looks great but uses 3 pins.. it is really annoying trying to find a 2 pin solution to this problem - hence been looking at solutions like this: http://www.optekinc.com/datasheets/OPB100Z.pdf but the range is just not there / and not consistent..
will keep looking

One way of getting a two wire solution is to arrange things so that when the beam is broken a load is switched across the two wire power supply. Then at the other end you measure the voltage drop across a current measuring seriese resistor to detect a beam break.

thanks again -
i actually managed to get the desired result by using a much more powerful IR led - seems to work - it is just real fidgety aligning the two over such a distance..

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131