Go Down

Topic: new and delete now implemented in 1.0? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

firegeek

I've read a number of posts here in which it's claimed that C++ style "new" isn't implemented for Arduino. Which makes sense to me, since dynamic memory allocation in a memory-constrained environment is fraught with danger.

But I thought I would investigate for myself what the failure mode would be if I attempted to use "new." Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the following code compiles and runs on 1.0:

Code: [Select]
class Test {
public:
  int param;

Test(int arg) {
    param = arg;
  }
};

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop()
{
  static int done = 0;
  Test *t = 0;

if (done==0) {
    Serial.print("1. t is ");
    Serial.println((uint16_t)t, HEX);
    t = new Test(123);
    Serial.print("2a. t is ");
    Serial.println((uint16_t)t, HEX);
    Serial.print("2b. t->param is ");
    Serial.println(t->param);
    delete t;
    done = 1;
  }
}

I don't see anything on http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/Changes indicating that "new" is now supported. When did this change? (Perhaps an even more interesting question would be why did this change?)

M

Professor Chaos

Yup, they are implemented in 1.0, along with pure virtual functions.  See http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,102453.0.html

I have not found and documentation of this change.

firegeek

Thanks! I didn't find that post among the search results I looked at.

And agreed: "a small number of small objects", even in a small space, can be a fine thing. :)

M

CrossRoads

Not being an actual programmer: what does "new" do?
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

PaulS

Not being an actual programmer: what does "new" do?

Dynamically allocates memory, to hold an instance of a class, and instantiates the class in that memory location, returning a pointer to it.

Go Up