Go Down

Topic: Atmega 328 bootloader or not? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

I have what seems like an easy question to answer however, I am tired of looking for the answer, so I will just ask it.

I have an Arduino Uno and want to take the already programmed chip that's on the Uno and place it on another PCB. Never take it off.

The question is:

What chip do I purchase to replace the one that went on the Uno? Do I have to get the AtMega328 with a bootloader or can I purchase the one without it?

CrossRoads

ATMega328P-PU.
With or without, your call.
If without, there are myriad ways to reprogram it.
Such as: use the existing chip to program the new chip, put the new chip in your application.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Can you expand on that? I'm still a bit confused.

If I were to get one without the bootloader can I place it on the Uno (without using the other chip) and upload a program to it? Once it's uploaded, can I then remove the chip and solder it to a PCB that is set to recieve the Atmega328 with the 16Mhz crystal and capacitors and have it work?

CrossRoads

Get a solderless breadboard, put the new chip on it.
Add the 16 MHz, xtal, 22 pf caps, 10K pullup resistor.

Load the optiloader sketch into the Uno:
https://github.com/WestfW/

Now connect Uno pins to breadboard uC pins:
+5 to +5, Gnd to Gnd, D13 to D13, D12 to D12, D11 to D11, D10 on Uno to Reset on breadboard uC.

Power up the Uno, the sketch will run and put a bootloader on the blank chip, see the video in the link here:
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,68183.0.html

Put the newly bootloaded part in your Uno and download your sketch into it. Or leave it there for your next project.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

westfw

In order for a new chip to function on an Arduino board as an Arduino, it WILL need to have a bootloader.

It is a relatively simple task to put the bootloader onto a completely blank chip, especially if you already have an existing Arduino.  You set up a relatively simple circuit with the new chip on a breadboard, and use your existing Arduino as a "device programmer" to burn the bootloader.

CrossRoads

westfw

@Crossroads: yep.  I was clarifying/rewording, rather than correcting.  I guess it would have worked better if I had SAID that!

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy